Mystery Snail Eggs: Are They Viable?

crayfishmom

Hello, all!

My snails recently laid a clutch of eggs. I noticed them on the side of the tank above the water line. This was Saturday, May 14th, 2022. Since then, I've done a lot of research on how to take care of them and what each stage should look like. Now, I might be just a little paranoid, because I want them to survive. But I need some guidance. I'm not sure if the eggs are actually viable or fertilized?

I read an amazing article that details what to do with snail eggs. I ended up buying a fish breeding box and suctioned it to the side of my tank. I cut out a piece of Styrofoam and let it float inside the box. Then I carefully removed the clutch of eggs and set it on top of the styrofoam. I read that this method has the best odds of the eggs hatching.

I've attached a picture of my egg clutch. I just want to make sure that they look right and now like they're not fertilized. I read that they should change color if fertilized and I'm pretty sure they have. They're hard like they should be at this point, but I just need some reassurance.

Thanks so much in advance!

(first picture is from Saturday when I noticed the eggs in the tank, second picture is how they look today)

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 10

Gennasharples

look good to me. usually take 2-3 weeks to hatch. earliest I've had them hath is 9 days

AquaBluMom

You’re pictures are perfect and the clutch looks promising.
I agree with Gennasharples. I’ve had many many successful clutch hatchlings…a little too successful! You’ll see my Avatar is a Black Mystery clutch hatching!
A couple of suggestions…poke a few holes in the styrofoam around the clutch, with a chopstick or straw. This way as the snails hatch, they’ll be able to make there way straight into the water.
Also, a quick spritz to the clutch once or twice a day will give it just enough moisture.
I’ve attached a few pics of the various stages you can expect to see as they progress. My clutches usually hatch within 12-14 days. By Day 9, the color of the clutch should be changing to an opaque pink. By Day12, the clutch will look like the first picture. The snails are beginning to eat away at the shell.
The last picture is the styrofoam float with the holes poked in it. I love watching these little guys make their way out of the clutch, through the hole and into the water! It’s crazy to see them all passing by each other across the bottom!
If you’re coming up on 3 weeks and there’s been no change in color you can pretty much expect it’s not viable. This is not uncommon for the first clutch a snail lays.
Keep us posted and WELCOME! Members here are very supportive and full of knowledge from hands-on experience.

Attachments

• B9E4272F-EFC7-4279-B9A3-54526F9964AF.jpeg
    B9E4272F-EFC7-4279-B9A3-54526F9964AF.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 321E941D-AB4C-429A-AD7C-77BFFFBFE6ED.jpeg
    321E941D-AB4C-429A-AD7C-77BFFFBFE6ED.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 5
  • D1650BC8-1007-41AB-BF76-6A5E8AF726C3.jpeg
    D1650BC8-1007-41AB-BF76-6A5E8AF726C3.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3EFCD3B2-3D7C-45D9-809A-752A116BF2C8.jpeg
    3EFCD3B2-3D7C-45D9-809A-752A116BF2C8.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 5

StarGirl

Don't they usually lay them above water? They look ok though.

AquaBluMom

Don't they usually lay them above water? They look ok though.
Yes, you are correct. Crayfishmom’s first picture is of the clutch on the glass above the waterline. You can see it better when you enlarge the attachment.
I’ve left the clutch on the glass in the past but on a number of occasions other snails have knocked them into the tank. Another time, the snails hatched but then couldn’t figure out which way to the water and dried up on the glass! Who knew!

Gennasharples

Yes, you are correct. Crayfishmom’s first picture is of the clutch on the glass above the waterline. You can see it better when you enlarge the attachment.
I’ve left the clutch on the glass in the past but on a number of occasions other snails have knocked them into the tank. Another time, the snails hatched but then couldn’t figure out which way to the water and dried up on the glass! Who knew!
My tank has like a rim and my snails 90% of the time lay their clutch under the rim of the tank so the babies are all upside down.
I tend to always remove my eggs and incubate them in a container with some damp paper towel with a lid and I’ve had a lot of success. Currently in the process of hatching the first ones that I’ve kept on the glass. Yesterday I did remove it from the glass to see how the eggs here looking and I could clearly see the colour of the babies in the eggs. Then I dunked them in the water and pushed them back up against the glass and the water made them stick and they are now firmly reattached. When I see when hatching I plan in crushing the clutch into the water like I have done with all my past eggs. Means they all make it to the water and they all make it out of their
You’re pictures are perfect and the clutch looks promising.
I agree with Gennasharples. I’ve had many many successful clutch hatchlings…a little too successful! You’ll see my Avatar is a Black Mystery clutch hatching!
A couple of suggestions…poke a few holes in the styrofoam around the clutch, with a chopstick or straw. This way as the snails hatch, they’ll be able to make there way straight into the water.
Also, a quick spritz to the clutch once or twice a day will give it just enough moisture.
I’ve attached a few pics of the various stages you can expect to see as they progress. My clutches usually hatch within 12-14 days. By Day 9, the color of the clutch should be changing to an opaque pink. By Day12, the clutch will look like the first picture. The snails are beginning to eat away at the shell.
The last picture is the styrofoam float with the holes poked in it. I love watching these little guys make their way out of the clutch, through the hole and into the water! It’s crazy to see them all passing by each other across the bottom!
If you’re coming up on 3 weeks and there’s been no change in color you can pretty much expect it’s not viable. This is not uncommon for the first clutch a snail lays.
Keep us posted and WELCOME! Members here are very supportive and full of knowledge from hands-on experience.
When mine start hatching I just crumble the eggs into the water and I’ve had a lot of success doing that. My fish (which aren’t even snail eaters, it’s mostly the angelfish and Kribensis) eat probably half of them and of the remaining half as far as I can tell the majority make it to a size where I give them away. My kuhli loaches probably pick off a couple not not enough to make a noticeable difference.

AquaBluMom

My tank has like a rim and my snails 90% of the time lay their clutch under the rim of the tank so the babies are all upside down.
I tend to always remove my eggs and incubate them in a container with some damp paper towel with a lid and I’ve had a lot of success. Currently in the process of hatching the first ones that I’ve kept on the glass. Yesterday I did remove it from the glass to see how the eggs here looking and I could clearly see the colour of the babies in the eggs. Then I dunked them in the water and pushed them back up against the glass and the water made them stick and they are now firmly reattached. When I see when hatching I plan in crushing the clutch into the water like I have done with all my past eggs. Means they all make it to the water and they all make it out of their

When mine start hatching I just crumble the eggs into the water and I’ve had a lot of success doing that. My fish (which aren’t even snail eaters, it’s mostly the angelfish and Kribensis) eat probably half of them and of the remaining half as far as I can tell the majority make it to a size where I give them away. My kuhli loaches probably pick off a couple not not enough to make a noticeable difference.
So you’ve had success in the past…not quite sure then what your concern was with this clutch.

Gennasharples

So you’ve had success in the past…not quite sure then what your concern was with this clutch.
im not the og poster

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Paigefav
Replies
Views
TWiG87
  • Question
  • PANDA4evah
  • Snails
Replies