Mystery Snail Egg Clutch! Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by StormTrooper, Apr 18, 2018.

1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Valued Member Member

I've had my mystery snail, Sammy, for about 3 months now. Never knew whether it was a male or female until 3 days ago! She laid a clutch of eggs on the tank hood. My question is, because I've had her for a while now, are the eggs fertile? Is there a possibility they aren't? I'm pretty excited about raising a bunch of baby snails, I've done a bunch of research. But now I'm worried they may not be fertile :( is there a way to tell for sure if they're fertile? I feel like I'm doing pretty good with the egg clutch. It's in a moist environment, not submerged in the water, and food waiting for the snails if there are any! But I'm hoping someone can tell me like at a certain time it'll look a certain way that tells me it's fertile and healthy... if that makes sense

2. MotherLizard

MotherLizard New Member Member

Mystery snails are sorta unique in the fact that they need both sexes to breed. Considering they can store the male goods for up to four months, there's a good chance that they are fertile. As they grow they eventually change color and take about 2-3 weeks to hatch in my experience. Hope this was some help!

3. OP
    OP
    StormTrooper

Oh and for anyone who needs to know, the snail eggs were indeed fertile! After about 8 days of incubating them, the clutch slowly started turning white/light gray (this is the baby snails eating their way out, therefore the clutch turns grey) so yeah, just waiting for them to hatch, I think one is hatching right now actually, lol.

4. OP
    OP
    StormTrooper

Is that a baby snail hatching out right now?! Any feedback would be dope! 20180426_195500.jpg 20180426_195512.jpg

5. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

Looks like it's just about ready.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice