Mystery snail egg bound??

Snailmum

My mystery snail is on an egg-laying spree. She laid 2 clutches in about 24 hours and this morning, she has eggs floating around her in the water. Is she okay? Could she be having trouble getting the eggs out? I have her in a smaller tank with lower water for the eggs so I can hatch them out into the tank instead of a breeder box. There are no fish with her. Should I move her to the display tank to let my fish eat the eggs from around her? Or move a fish in with her? Can they get egg-bound like reptiles or birds where there's an egg blocking the rest from coming out?

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_092915986.jpg
    IMG_20210810_092915986.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 34

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

This is one I've not seen before. As long as she is still active and is still eating well I would just let her work it out. I know we want to help when we think there may be a problem but in most cases it is best to just observe.

If she is anything like my mystery snail she will gift you with lots and lots of baby snails. Had I kept all that mine laid I would now have well over a thousand of them. I just allowed one of the smaller clutches to hatch and ended up with 70 baby mysteries.

Snailmum

It's her first time laying eggs so she might just be tired after laying. She did lay two clutches in less than 24 hours so she may have had a few more after she fell into the water. She's still moving and being her usual curious self so I think she's okay. She dropped herself off of the glass and the eggs detached from her body. I think she's okay, I'm just concerned that she's going to die if she can't get her eggs out. My other female laid eggs about 4 months ago and none of hers hatched but I didn't have a male at the time. I really want these to hatch.

mattgirl

It's her first time laying eggs so she might just be tired after laying. She did lay two clutches in less than 24 hours so she may have had a few more after she fell into the water. She's still moving and being her usual curious self so I think she's okay. She dropped herself off of the glass and the eggs detached from her body. I think she's okay, I'm just concerned that she's going to die if she can't get her eggs out. My other female laid eggs about 4 months ago and none of hers hatched but I didn't have a male at the time. I really want these to hatch.
I suspect she just wanted to get back in the water after releasing the 2 clutches even though there were still some eggs ready to come out. In my humble opinion there is no need to worry. She knows what she is doing and I feel sure you will end up with more than enough baby mystery snails even if you just end up with the 2 clutches. I feel sure she will lay more though.

If you would like to you can read how I ended up with 70 mystery snail babies :) Miss Sneller Layed Eggs | Snails Forum | 493131

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
AltVzn
  • Lady Monster
  • Snails
Replies
Views