Mystery Snail Eating Plants!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by barandemir09, Apr 8, 2017.

1. barandemir09

barandemir09Valued MemberMember

I have 2 mystery snails in my 60 L/15G aquarium. I always thought that they might be nibbling on my subwassertang, but I just saw one devouring a whole bit of it. I was going to rescape my tank and put some other live plants, like anubias and java fern but now I am scared... what should I do?!?!? I don't want to take them out but if I have to I will. Please help, I had a video of him eating it but it won't let me post it for some reason

2. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    Mystery snails usually eat decaying plant matter but I don't think its that in this case.

What do you feed them?

3. Bettanewb

BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

There is a chance that you do not have a mystery snail but an apple snail.

How big are they?

It's been said that a mystery snail will starve to death in a planted tank because as said above they only eat decaying plant matter.

4. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Well I feed them some algae wafers every once in a while
    They are about the size of a golf ball

5. Ed204

Hmm, that's probably why they are eating the plants. You should feed them daily so that they don't eat any of your plants.

Besides Algae Wafers, you could try feeding them greens like zucchini or cucumber, they will surely like that'.

By the way, do you have a photo of your snails? I would love a photo. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Ok

Here is a screenshot from the video of one eating it[​IMG]
    So if I feed these guys everyday with a slice of cucumber will they stop eating my plants?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  7. Ed204

Feeding them something else should distract them from eating plants.

8. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Alright thanks guys!! And if things don't stop, and they keep eating the plants, is it ok to put them in my pond out side that has no plants?

9. Ed204

Depends, what's in the pond?

10. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Nothing for now just some water and duckweed on top but we are heading towards winter in Australia and it does drop to about 5 or so degrees Celsius at the peak of winter

Oh and I'm planing on getting some goldfish for it... we had some last year, they even survived like 4 winters but then when spraying bug spray at a wasp nest on the tree above the pond, I guess the rain washed some of it into the pond and well you know what happens next... ;(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017
  11. Ed204

As long as there is food in the pond they will expand quickly. Its most likely that the Colony will die during winter due to cold weather, but you can keep an emergency group if you need to re populate

12. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Wait a colony?!?!? I thought mystery snails were asexual with females and males, and I don't know what their genders are...

13. Ed204

Wait, I mixed up Mystery Snails with Apple Snails. Mystery snail eggs can only be hatched in marine water parameters so if all your tanks are freshwater there will be no hope for them to hatch.

14. Bettanewb

BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

15. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Yeah lol ed204, you mixed them up withnerites

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice