Mystery Snail Eating Plants!!! Help!!

barandemir09

Reaction score
I have 2 mystery snails in my 60 L/15G aquarium. I always thought that they might be nibbling on my subwassertang, but I just saw one devouring a whole bit of it. I was going to rescape my tank and put some other live plants, like anubias and java fern but now I am scared... what should I do?!?!? I don't want to take them out but if I have to I will. Please help, I had a video of him eating it but it won't let me post it for some reason

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI there,
Mystery snails usually eat decaying plant matter but I don't think its that in this case.

What do you feed them?

Bettanewb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is a chance that you do not have a mystery snail but an apple snail.

How big are they?

It's been said that a mystery snail will starve to death in a planted tank because as said above they only eat decaying plant matter.

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barandemir09 said:
Well I feed them some algae wafers every once in a while
They are about the size of a golf ball
Hmm, that's probably why they are eating the plants. You should feed them daily so that they don't eat any of your plants.

Besides Algae Wafers, you could try feeding them greens like zucchinI or cucumber, they will surely like that'.

By the way, do you have a photo of your snails? I would love a photo.

OP
barandemir09

barandemir09

Reaction score
Ok

Here is a screenshot from the video of one eating it
5360248bce1f04ecd2473c6d705c7d18.jpg

So if I feed these guys everyday with a slice of cucumber will they stop eating my plants?

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barandemir09 said:
Here is a screenshot from the video of one eating it
5360248bce1f04ecd2473c6d705c7d18.jpg

So if I feed these guys everyday with a slice of cucumber will they stop eating my plants?
Feeding them something else should distract them from eating plants.

OP
barandemir09

barandemir09

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys!! And if things don't stop, and they keep eating the plants, is it ok to put them in my pond out side that has no plants?

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barandemir09 said:
Alright thanks guys!! And if things don't stop, and they keep eating the plants, is it ok to put them in my pond out side that has no plants?
Depends, what's in the pond?

OP
barandemir09

barandemir09

Reaction score
Nothing for now just some water and duckweed on top but we are heading towards winter in Australia and it does drop to about 5 or so degrees Celsius at the peak of winter

Oh and I'm planing on getting some goldfish for it... we had some last year, they even survived like 4 winters but then when spraying bug spray at a wasp nest on the tree above the pond, I guess the rain washed some of it into the pond and well you know what happens next... ;(

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barandemir09 said:
Nothing for now just some water and duckweed on top but we are heading towards winter in Australia and it does drop to about 5 or so degrees Celsius at the peak of winter
As long as there is food in the pond they will expand quickly. Its most likely that the Colony will die during winter due to cold weather, but you can keep an emergency group if you need to re populate

OP
barandemir09

barandemir09

Reaction score
Wait a colony?!?!? I thought mystery snails were asexual with females and males, and I don't know what their genders are...

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barandemir09 said:
Wait a colony?!?!? I thought mystery snails were asexual with females and males, and I don't know what their genders are...
Wait, I mixed up Mystery Snails with Apple Snails. Mystery snail eggs can only be hatched in marine water parameters so if all your tanks are freshwater there will be no hope for them to hatch.

New Threads