Mystery snail diet?

1. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

I went to pick up my last three Corys and I saw they had beautiful mystery snails. I had to grab one. Am I correc to assume that they eat leftover fish food and algae?

2. mga1603 Initiate Member

hello! mystery snails are a great addition to any fish tank. yes, they do eat fish food and algae but I highly recommend buying algae wafers and putting one in every other day or so. good luck with your tank!

3. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I have sinking shrimp pellets so those might work, right? I also give give raw zucchini once in a while

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Most vegetables work, a nice cuttlebone in the tank is great for calcium for them to munch on too, and I do snail jello for my nerites.

5. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks. He's in the tank now. He hasn't moved yet should I be worried?

6. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

He may need a few days to settle in before he moves. Also some snails seem to sleep in their shell for a while. The only way I know to tell if a snail is dead is if you sniff it up real close and it smells rotten, like a really strong rotten egg or sulfur.

7. xxbyamomentx Member Member

If the little guy isn't alive, you'll definitely be able to know by smell. My snails have lazy days too, but if you pick them up and touch their skin they'll usually retract into their shells.

I love the snail jello recipe...for just one snail, you could make the small batch and freeze the majority of it, thawing it as you need it. I think you could probably use it for at least six months if you keep it frozen until right before you use it...this is the recipe I've used. Green beans seems to be the highest calcium content baby food veggie, though my guys really prefer the squash. :p

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

My snail won't eat sinking algae wafers and they eat the sinking shrimp pellets. Mine didn't move for almost 24 hours after I got it

9. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Mystery snails will indeed eat algae but MUST have a calcium source so I tried just liquid calcium to water but it wasn't enough they need to eat it. So snail jello as mentioned and cuttlebone. Personally my store bought mystery and two private seller would eat a piece of weekend feeder . Unfortunately they have all but died. RIP Gary and Bravo.
    I have one adult mystery,Skaro, left who is trying to eat a weekend feeder but she's pretty weak. Depressing stuff aside to avoid future problems Gary and Skaro's offspring are eating blanched collard greens

10. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Many will not touch algae wafers (can't say I've ever tried). Mine love the following: meat based sinking food, zucchini, spinach - after it's been in there and is mostly disintegrating, green beans, and snail jello. It make take a few tries for it to realize that veggies are food, since many are not fed anything but weekend feeders at the stores.

Please don't expect him or her to live on algae and leftover food. It would survive for a while, but not get the calcium needed for healthy shell growth.