Mystery snail die off help

brondo
HI yall,
I have a 55 gallon Mystery Snail breeding tank to feed my Fahaka Puffer and my snails are dying! I had 5 die in a single day, but usually 1-2. It has become a daily upset and I am starting to worry that I will soon have no snails to feed my big boi and he needs them to keep his teeth in check.
The tank is 8-9 months old, atleast. Currently just the Mysteries, some Ramshorn, Pond, many MTS, a Big Rabbit and a few babies plus 8 KhulI loaches and live plants with sand substrate. I have also added Seachems Equilibrium to bring up my Kh & Gh. Right now my #s are 79F 0 Amm
0 Nitrite 15 Nitrate Kh 6 Gh 9
Which looks good to me. I feed Snello (kale/green bean bby food, fish flake, betta pellets and some dehydrated crickets, berry tums) calamarI steak chunks and frozen bloodworms. Their shells all look great and I find an egg sac every 2 weeks ish which I am surprised its not more with the # of large snails. I do a 40% water change every 2 weeks, To remove debris but my nitrates never test over 20. I added the Equilibrium 10ish days ago to help my low (3 drop) kh/gh.
I just don't have a clue why they are dying and after the 5 in one day I am becoming discouraged and worried as they are an important element of a puffers diet. Is there such a thing as a Snail disease? I am at a complete loss here. I have scoured the internet for answers and came up empty. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome and appreciated. Merry Xmas!

Advertisement
RUADJAI
PH swing?

brondo
Sorry, forgot the Ph. Its 7.6-7.8 it was 7.4 but they were dying then too. Which is how I came to adding equilibrium to bring up the Kh & Gh.

juniperlea
Sorry, forgot the Ph. Its 7.6-7.8 it was 7.4 but they were dying then too. Which is how I came to adding equilibrium to bring up the Kh & Gh.
I'm confused about mystery snails too. And Zebra and Trapdoors come to think of it. I can't keep them alive. When you say they die, are they on their backs? That's what mine do, but I've learned to wait and then take the sniff test..... I brace myself first for that. My Trapdoor has been on death's door for a couple of months. I just don't understand them.

Advertisement
brondo
It depends. Often they are sideways, operculum open, foot kinda shriveled. They are stiff and smell. Other times they are closed but shrunken up into the shell, plus the reek. Its unmistakable that smell. Even freshly dead you can smell it. If I am unlucky I won't notice the death until it is goo. Uck. I even had a smelly floater few days ago. I started almost 2 years ago with Ramshorn but they started dying off and now I have only a handful. The ones that do live usually end up with whiter shells and then eventually its like the shell is too heavy, and they almost drag it around sideways. I tried snello, cuttlebone and coral in the filter with no difference. I recently added Equilibrium hoping it will help. But I just don't see how it could be the problem with my mysteries. They have very nice shells. I am at a loss. My Rabbits and Trumpets are fine. And rabbits are more sensitive. ‍♀️

juniperlea
I just noticed my last snail (Trapdoor). He'd been shriveled up on his back again, but is now on the glass, presumably munching on bio-film. He used to be extremely active, and all over the tank. But now ..... I even set algae wafers right underneath him. I guess that's all I can do, but I won't get any more pet snails. What a shame. Btw, I keep the empty (clean) shells and leave them in the tank. Looks quite pretty.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DreaminginBlue
Replies
Views
jenb7123
Replies
Views
abarb
  • Question
Replies