Mystery Snail Deaths

Siphon
Hey guys. Ive had about 7 mystery snails in 5 years now, seams I grt them small, they eat and 500 tons, grow to the size of a ping pong ball and die for no explained reason what so ever.

They all lasted 4 -7 months, grew very fast and in the span of 2 days they go from normal to hidden in the shell dead. Is this a normal life span?

Ive had black, orange, ivory, and plain ugly mystery snails

Heres my ivory, been upside down for 2 days but doesn't smell dead yet

Attachments

• 20180312_204424.jpg
    20180312_204424.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 71
Wraithen
If the door is shut and you can't open it with gentle pressure then it isn't dead. Have you tested for copper in your tank?

Siphon
I started using fertilizer that has copper, they swear it wouldnt harm any inverts, I have to believe it wouldnt because its such a low dosage. Started using it 4 months ago so it would only affect my most recent snail

My bumble bee nirites have lived threw it

Wraithen
I've seen some nerites keel over from boredom, and some truck through some terrible conditions. My 10 gallon was a nerite killer. Never killed any Mts, pond snails, or mysteries though.

I still think you should test for copper. It could be building from source water. If you haven't used any medications in that tank that's the only thing I could think of.

Bithimala
What are you feeding and what are the temps in the tanks?

Siphon
I've seen some nerites keel over from boredom, and some truck through some terrible conditions. My 10 gallon was a nerite killer. Never killed any Mts, pond snails, or mysteries though.

I still think you should test for copper. It could be building from source water. If you haven't used any medications in that tank that's the only thing I could think of.
Ill try and get a test kit together

Water is 76
I feed the neons omega one color pellets, tetra blood worms, and nutrifin max flacks, in a rolling order twice aday

The neon are soo hard to feed they miss 60% of the food and it goes to the bottom

I switched to 5100k lighting and now theirs algae so I don't specificaly feed the snails

Wraithen
For the neons you could get a floating or suction cup ring. It keeps the ripples on the water from sinking the flakes and pellets as quickly.

Bithimala
Well, that may be part of the problem. You may want to supplement some fresh veggies in there for them. Mysteries don't really feed on algae, and may not be getting enough nutrition from trying to scavenge of just left over fish food.

Siphon
For the neons you could get a floating or suction cup ring. It keeps the ripples on the water from sinking the flakes and pellets as quickly.
They refuse to eat from the surface they only eat when its zooming by in the current

Wraithen
Lol, of course they do! Some fish never cooperate.

Dave125g
Invertebrates don't live very long to begin with. A well kept mystery snail can live 2 years or so. That being said there's 2 things I see with your set up. 1 there's no pre-filter sponge on your intake. Snails can easily get stuck to the intake or even sucked out there shell if there small enough. The other thing is your not feeding them. Mysteries don't eat much algae if any at all. Try zucchinI mine love it.

Siphon
I will get a pre filter today that's a good idea, I have one on my rcs tank

I figured the snails ate biofilm and algea

Wraithen
Nerites love algae. Mystery snails will eat biofilm but you won't usually notice that being depleted. I've noticed mine will bury in the substrate when I neglect to feed them. I expect that from nerites and Mts, just never thought mysteries did that.

Siphon
Trip to lfs got 2 more bumble bees, an assasin snail for the 5.5 that's mts infested.
New air pump for the 5.5 since my ancient hawkeye couldnt pump air more than 2 inches deep anymore.

Got my pre filter and slightly modified my intake tube so it fit on far enough.

And since I had more mechanical filtration I cut my aquaclear filter in half and fit another handfull of bio filter inside

Ooh and a new plant

Attachments

• 20180313_120958.jpg
    20180313_120958.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180313_121330.jpg
    20180313_121330.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180313_121402.jpg
    20180313_121402.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180313_121621.jpg
    20180313_121621.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180313_122035.jpg
    20180313_122035.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180313_122216.jpg
    20180313_122216.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180313_122211.jpg
    20180313_122211.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180313_122058.jpg
    20180313_122058.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180313_121747.jpg
    20180313_121747.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77
Wraithen
Careful with assassins. They reproduce exceedingly well, especially as they're going through eating the baby Mts first.

How well is your cabomba growing? I'm still trying to figure mine out.

Siphon
Careful with assassins. They reproduce exceedingly well, especially as they're going through eating the baby Mts first.

How well is your cabomba growing? I'm still trying to figure mine out.

I heard that

I think you mean the hornswart? its not doing well in my 10 gallon with 5100k lights, but my 5.5 with 5100k is doing great

Wraithen
I heard that

I think you mean the hornswart? its not doing well in my 10 gallon with 5100k lights, but my 5.5 with 5100k is doing great
I guess I did mean hornswort. It looks similar to my cabomba that I'm desperately trying to keep alive even though I know it's hard to raise and will be dead by july.

Siphon
I heard that

I guess I did mean hornswort. It looks similar to my cabomba that I'm desperately trying to keep alive even though I know it's hard to raise and will be dead by july.

I honestly didnt even know the names or anything about any plants I just baught what I liked.

I planted the hornswart and wondering why it didnt grow roots hahah

Wraithen
Lol, took me some research to find out why my wisteria was growing them everywhere.

Pringlethesnail
Are you sure all the parameters are fine? Are you sure the neons aren’t biting their antenna when you’re not looking (I took my neons back because they bullied my mystery snails). Also they’re omnivores and should be fed at least every other day but really every day. They really shouldn’t be living off algae or even vegetables. They’re omnivores. I’ll attach a picture of the best mystery snail food I’ve found over the years. It has meat and veggies so they can live on that alone and be very healthy. I get it at petco but they also have t on Amazon. I feed 1/3 of a pellet per day for each adult snail. Is your tank heated? In a heated tank a juvenile store bought snail will only live 9-12 months max. If you’re getting them about nickel sized that’s about how long they should live. If you’re getting them bigger they will live less longer.
Image1521080273.083445.jpg

Siphon
Are you sure all the parameters are fine? Are you sure the neons aren’t biting their antenna when you’re not looking (I took my neons back because they bullied my mystery snails). Also they’re omnivores and should be fed at least every other day but really every day. They really shouldn’t be living off algae or even vegetables. They’re omnivores. I’ll attach a picture of the best mystery snail food I’ve found over the years. It has meat and veggies so they can live on that alone and be very healthy. I get it at petco but they also have t on Amazon. I feed 1/3 of a pellet per day for each adult snail. Is your tank heated? In a heated tank a juvenile store bought snail will only live 9-12 months max. If you’re getting them about nickel sized that’s about how long they should live. If you’re getting them bigger they will live less longer. View attachment 419165

Yeah there lifespan seams to fit. Tanks heated and the neons are deffiitly not bothering the snail

Thank you

Hunter1
I feed my corys shrimp pellets after “lights out” and think the snails get some?

And wafers similar to those shown 1Xs-2Xs a week.

Mine have only been in my tanks 4 months so i’m No expert.

Siphon
One week update. not dead but still in the shell

Dave125g
One week update. not dead but still in the shell
Hasn't moved at all? Have you taking him out and smelled it?

Siphon
Hasn't moved at all? Have you taking him out and smelled it?
Yes and hes fresh as a daisy

Siphon
Here he is. sprung back to life and hes inhaling my plant now

Attachments

• 20180318_210259.jpg
    20180318_210259.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 59
Dave125g
Good news. He was just taking an extended nap.

Siphon
Good news. He was just taking an extended nap.
Good reason to trust the smell trick

Wraithen
It's doesn't always work. The foot trick is better. If the foot falls out and doesn't retract it's dead.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
spicegirls5ever
Replies
Views
Alana
  • Question
Replies