Mystery snail dead or taking vacation?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Koldaar, Jan 4, 2013.

1. KoldaarValued MemberMember

My mystery snail has been on the underside of a rock formation for 3 weeks now. Is it dead or taking an extended holiday? Should I just grab it and find out?

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

That's a long time. Myself, I would grab it and check it out.

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Hello there!
    Definitely take it out and "smell" it. A dead snail will smell really bad.... Also you can touch the foot to see if it retracts or makes any type of movement. Usually, when the snails have passed, they won't have the muscle control to stay closed.
    Let us know what happens and hope your little snail is just taking an extended holiday! :)

4. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

A dead snail will usually either appear to have an empty shell (retracted) or just hang out loosely. Definitely do the smell test as jwebbe suggested! If there is no smell, you can put him in a container with just a little water from the aquarium (less than a half inch) and see if he eventually comes out and starts looking for deeper water.

If he's alive it's possible he's been getting picked on, or that the water may be too cold for him.

5. OP
    OP
    K

KoldaarValued MemberMember

Would it still be hanging upside down if it was dead or would it let go? Haven't been able to check it yet.

6. JustKeepSwimming

Hanging upside down? Do you mean he's attached to something? I don't believe I've ever heard of a dead snail staying attached to anything. Are you sure he's not wedged?

7. OP
    OP
    K

Yes, he was attached hanging upside down and not wedged. Just grabbed him off the rock and he's still alive. Not sure if its sick or dying or what. Water temp is 78. Strange.

8. OP
    OP
    K

Water parameters are 0, 0, 20.

9. Msheresy

MsheresyValued MemberMember

Since you pulled him off, has he moved?

10. OP
    OP
    K

He has not moved since.

11. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

What fish are with him and what size tank? Have you tried tempting him with food? When i got my 2nd set of blues they wouldn't move at all... some fresh zuccini got them out and about fast :)

12. OP
    OP
    K

It's a 29 gallon with an angelfish, 1 br, 8 cardinal tetras, 5 julii's, 4 oto's, and 5 nerite snails. I have been dropping in slices of cucumber this past week, but nothing happened.

I did have an assassin snail in there a while back but it never went after the mystery snail. I got rid of the assassin when it started after my nerite snails. Now I have an explosion of very small assassins in my substrate. Could these micro sized assassins have done something to him? Just throwing that out there.

13. JustKeepSwimming

The reason I removed my apple snail from the community tank is because he was getting picked on. Eventually he shelled himself up and stopped moving around. I thought he was dead, so I took him out. I could see a bit of his flesh so I poked it a few times. It had started to gray. I got no response and was about to throw him out, but decided to try one more time. I gave him a poke, and this time he twitched, just barely. So ultimately I removed him to a spare ten gallon I had and he started to look a little better. When I came home with my ivory snail he transformed into a different creature practically. He came out and over two weeks he fully recovered. I now have a designated 5gallon snail tank on my desk. I learned my lesson with snails and fish though. Sometimes it works out but I'm not willing to chance it again. When my snails pass on in a couple of years I might turn it into a betta tank, but for now they're enjoying it.

Anyway, he may very well be getting targeted. I'd remove him to another tank if you have one. Walmart sells little 2 gallons for under ten bucks, complete. It'd be fine for a single snail for a while.

14. Msheresy

MsheresyValued MemberMember

This might be purely coincidence but I had a hermit of a mystery snail. It was not active at all! The addition of some more mystery snails has really perked it up. Maybe because of the mating potential?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice