Mystery Snail cracked shell

1. jreesej Initiate Member

It was never dropped or fell to my knowledge...however is this something to worry about? If so what can be done. He seems ok, more active than ever. 1466099595676.jpg

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is it the horizontal whitish line? It doesn't look like a crack to me so much as a time when growth changed. The growth lines on a shell are very much like tree rings in that they reflect conditions at the time the shell was being made. If they were growing in one set of conditions (temperature, food, calcium availability, etc.) and then are moved to your tank where the conditions are completely different the growth will have a hiccup and be different after. There was a really cool picture here that someone posted of a nerite that had markings running one way and then went in the opposite direction after being moved to their tank!

3. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

As long as the crack doesn't go all the way to their body it is okay.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd check your KH to make sure it isn't too low. Calcium rich foods would help too!

5. jreesej Initiate Member

Sad news.....He didn't make it. Although I don't think it was the shell.

I noticed at least twice yesterday one if my red wag platies nipping at him. When I found him kinda hanging out of his shell motionless....it appeared to me like his eye tentacle(correct term?) had been ripped off. I would guess the platy was to blame, but who knows.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry:(