Mystery snail-cracked plug

Discussion in 'Snails' started by wonderfreak, Aug 9, 2015.

1. wonderfreakNew MemberMember

Hi all :) so we've got two mystery snails who were separated a few days ago (too much breeding going on lol) but we had to put them back in the same tank as the one we had moved was being picked on by the fish in the other tank. I noticed earlier that he has a split/crack in the brown plug thing they use to close up when they're sleeping or feel threatened and a part of his body, the fleshy part of the snail, is poking through the crack. We did try to pop the fleshy bit back but it's just popped out again and the poor guy is lying on his side trying to plug up. He's not looking too good. I don't know if this has anything to do with the other fish or what could have caused this. We have cuttle bone in the original snail tank if that makes any difference. Any advice or help would be appreciated
    Thank you :)

2. OP
    OP
    w

wonderfreakNew MemberMember

Ok so my step dad tried to fix it and the snail's plug came off. He appears to be coming out of his shell so we'll keep an eye on him. Can the plug thing grow back? And is he in danger now? There is an angelfish in the same tank as it was being picked on by an angel couple in the previous tank

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    The 'plug' you are referring to is known as an aperture, FYI. :)
    I am not sure it can grow back.

4. OP
    OP
    w

wonderfreakNew MemberMember

Thanks! I'll have to remember that word...and do my snail research haha

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No problem!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice