Mystery Snail Clutches!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Sergeant Pepper, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

So this is a Love story. When I set up my 60 gallon tank, I planned to move one of the mystery snails in my 10 gallon into that tank, and move the other into the 29. Ultimately I planned to get more.
    The one in the 60, escaped twice from the tank. I honestly thought there was something wrong with the tank. He escaped the first time and was on the ground for at least 12 hours before I found him! But he was alive! When he did this the second time, my boyfriend said he missed his other snail friend. So to humor him, I put them back together in the 29 and amazingly, they have now had two clutches in two weeks!!! Holy cow! He apparently did miss his friend.

So to the real question. I've watched some videos on how to best care for clutches. I'd like some of your experience in caring for them. I have a spare 2.5 gallon I might set up for them once/if they hatch to better care for their early stage.
    I have one in a container floating in my 60. It's humid in the container. The second clutch I left attached to the tank lid where it was laid.

What have you done for mystery snail clutches? Thanks!

2. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Congrats! on the clutches. I got my first clutch last Sept. Kinda of the same situation. I was only 7 months in to caring for "Wet Pets". So I posted this thread, alot of info which might help.
    Question - Ok, Mystery Snail Veterans Or Breeders Need Advice
    I recently had another clutch hatch, I just left that one in the tank and let nature run its course. Well now I have around 100 or more.
    Have Fun and Good Luck.

3. Niki Rose

Niki RoseWell Known MemberMember

I haven't had eggs yet but my group of 10 is close to being at breeding size (I raised them from babies), I plan to put the eggs in containers floating in the tank to get keep them at the same temperature and a wet paper towel underneath then a dry one on top of the other one. Basically what rachel O'leary explains in her video.

4. OP
    OP
    Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

I will be trying both methods, since I have two clutches. One will stay attached to the glass, the other I will try the Rachel O'leary Method. We'll see which works best for me :D I'll post pictures if any hatch!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice