Mystery Snail Climbed In With The Babies!

Anika

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a breeder box in my snail tank with hundreds of babies, this morning I looked in the tank and to my surprise I see my gold mystery snail climbed in the breeder box and is chilling with all the babies!! Anyone know what I should do? I was going to take her out but noticed a few babies ontop of her! I don't want them to escape the breeder box!
20180501_123208.jpg
20180501_123035.jpg

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adorable! I would leave her be. She will not harm them and will probably climb back out on her own

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're really gentle you can use a turkey baster to get the babies off. Make sure you take in water from outside the box to not suck up fry.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now that is a LOT of eggs! Wow...

Good spot for the breeder box as well, because to hasten and consistently accelerate Mystery snails eggs to hatch, they require very high heat and humidity. I replied to a post last night, where if necessary, you can actually take some simple and cheap kitchen/cooking plastic wrap and cover and seal off your aquarium lids/holes/gaps on the top, therefore promoting more heat and humidity. But try NOT to open the top to allow the heat and humidity to escape! Heh

Anika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good spot for the breeder box as well, because to hasten and consistently accelerate Mystery snails eggs to hatch, they require very high heat and humidity. I replied to a post last night, where if necessary, you can actually take some simple and cheap kitchen/cooking plastic wrap and cover and seal off your aquarium lids/holes/gaps on the top, therefore promoting more heat and humidity. But try NOT to open the top to allow the heat and humidity to escape! Heh
Thanks for the info! I incubate the eggs in a tupperware container with a damp towel on the bottom and a dry one on top. The tupperware floats in the tank and the humidity is very high! Those ones you see in the second pic were actually laid last night! Found two clutches this morning! Thinking of separating the girls and boys because my snails are very busy!!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I have not seen that many whole and healthy eggs in a very long time. Also keep in mind (unelss you're not aware of this already) that M. snails are MASSIVE pigs and eat a LOT of food--thus, you better get a TON of blanched veggies, algae wafer and stuff like that ready to feed all of 'em! lol...

Anika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have not seen that many whole and healthy eggs in a very long time. Also keep in mind (unelss you're not aware of this already) that M. snails are MASSIVE pigs and eat a LOT of food--thus, you better get a TON of blanched veggies, algae wafer and stuff like that ready to feed all of 'em! lol...
Haha for sure! I have lots of food for these little guys!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, here's my home made super super VERY superfood Snail Jell-O recipe: 1, 4 oz. of high calcium baby food (whatever...usually some type of high calcium greens or something), 1 tbsp. Rephashy Soilent Green, 1 pack of Knox unflavored gelatin, 4 pulverized/powdered algae wafers, 4-6 powdered/pulverized Tums Ultra 1000mg calcium carbonate (any flavor is fine, but NOT mint flavored!!!). Heat the baby food on a stove top, or microwave it for about 2-3 mins, add all of the other ingredients, mix, and then pour into some type of ice cube tray or smaller mold etc. Then refridgerate for a few hours. Almost everything living in your tank will hogpile, and go completely bonkers for it and will climb over each other to eat it! Guaranteed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom