Mystery Snail Care?

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was wondering what to feed my snails. Right now I am just feeding them Hikari algae wafers and I made some snail jello but they do not seem to like it. They also eat some blood worms left over from the fish. I am also trying to figure out what to use for calcium. I have some reptile calcium powder and heard that dissolving reptile calcium in the water works for a calcium supplement but am not sure if its safe.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They also like blanched spinach leaves (provides calcium) and blanched zuchinni or cucumber. Boil it till it sinks then cool it off...remove it after they move off or after a couple hours. Sometimes my snails go nuts for it, sometimes not...but at least its different. You can also provide cuttlebone as a calcium supplement.

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I will have try zucchini my snails have already showed no interest in spinach.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I will for sure get some cuttle bone. Does any one know how big they get my black mystery snail is growing very fast and is getting big.

Last edited:

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oooh! Yeah! Im new to snails

do you find they stop for a munch or two? Or does it leech into the water? Ive never been sure when I have a cuttlebone in the tank. I usually just jam it against the glass with a rock. Your way is much prettier.
Both. I have seen the Snails crawling over it slower than the normal "I have places to go and snails to see" speed.

I will for sure get some cuddle bone. Does any one know how big they get my black mystery snail is growing very fast and is getting big.
@fish 321

This one is not full grown yet.
_MG_8602.0.jpg

Last edited:

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Both. I have seen the Snails crawling over it slower than the normal "I have places to go and snails to see" speed.

@fish 321

This one is not full grown yet.
View attachment 479370
Cute little guy, I have one about that size too. They brighten up as they get older I hope? He tends to get lost in the tank and harder to see then the bigger brighter one. (I only have two.)

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have one big one about your size and hes becoming an old man, he hardly moves or eats now. I think hes reaching the end of his days. /cry.
My big snail is the most active out of all my snails. His shell has grown about two inches in about the past two weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom