Mystery snail care

heifetz17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! I recently purchased an albino mystery snail for my betta tank to help with algae, but my betta would not leave the poor thing alone, so I moved him to my goldfish tank and he's been very active and cruising around.

My question is on the use of cuttlebone to supplement his calcium. My ph right now is about 7.4, and I'm concerned the bone might shoot the ph above 8. I have pretty hard water as well.

What's a safe way to get him the calcium he needs while considering the other tank inhabitants?

Thanks!

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Put some egg shells in some type of mesh bag and hide in the tank. Leave it for 2-3 weeks and replace. ZUccini (sp) is also very good for mystery snails.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cuttlebone will do basically nothing to your pH, at least it never has for me (and that's in 5 and 10 gallon tanks) especially if you have one piece in a tank big enough for goldies. By nothing, I mean it did not alter the pH at all. Egg shells, as mentioned, are also an option, but I find the cuttlebone to be much easier.

And yes, please feed the little guy. Fresh veggies that are high in calcium are a great option. Zucchini, green beans, spinach, etc. I would also suggest supplementing with something meat based as well so that he/she is getting enough protein for the door.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom