Mystery Snail Care Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the tank was at 75 and then moved down to 70, that would cause a decrease in activity. Some do also tend to go through phases where they'll be less active for a bit, then go back to zooming around everywhere. Maybe try changing around some different foods and such, but if he's going for the spinach, I'd go with that for a bit. Maybe he got bored with the other options, lol. I'd keep an eye on him for now, but it may not be any cause for concern.

BBnL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just read that feeding mysterys extra calcium in form of crushed egg shells and hikari crab food also helps them. Spinach has more calcium than cucumber, I think, so maybe that's what your guy craves? Such cool creatures.

WeAreAllMadHere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The cuttlebone only works to a certain point and then stabilizes. To answer your question though, no it shouldn't hurt your bettas. I have it in my betta community tank. The betta, rasboras, and cories are all good. All three mystery snails and three nerites munch on it from time to time.
Do you just drop it in??

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you just drop it in??
You can put pieces into a HOB or canister filter pretty easily. If using carbon, make sure the water hits it AFTER the carbon. You can also put larger pieces in the actual tank, but it won't have as great an effect probably with carbon filtration in effect. Also, dry pieces float for a while. You can either let them do this until they sink, or boil them for a few minutes and then add them after they cool off.

Snailwhisperer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I dropped mine in and let them float. The snails drabbed on, floated around and parachuted down. It was fun to watch. Eventually they sank. I a excited to have more floating pieces.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Strange as it seems, in the years I have been a member at Fishlore and having many mysteries (that breed) I have never been to the snail forum. Thank you for this thread. A great read.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so it is ok to put raw zuchini in and it will go to the bottom?
Raw zucchini will float. You can do several different things to get it to stay on the bottom though. You can cut it into coins, boil them for 2-3 minutes, cool them, and even store in a freezer. You can just thaw what you need then. Or you can stab a skewer through it into the substrate. Or stab a fork into it and just put the whole thing on the bottom. You can even buy a contraption online called a screwcumber. Whatever works for you.

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Raw zucchini will float. You can do several different things to get it to stay on the bottom though. You can cut it into coins, boil them for 2-3 minutes, cool them, and even store in a freezer. You can just thaw what you need then. Or you can stab a skewer through it into the substrate. Or stab a fork into it and just put the whole thing on the bottom. You can even buy a contraption online called a screwcumber. Whatever works for you.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom