Mystery Snail Breeding

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a male mystery snail for a while and recently moved him to my 60 gallon and got him two friends. I saw him mate with one (not a creep lol) twice in as many days. I can't drop my water level too much, it's dropped by 2-3 inches right now and there's no way I can get it lower because of my HOB. Is there something I can do to help out with the eggs, or is this space enough? I've read some conflicting information on it, and now I'm just confused. Also any tips for feeding the babies and all would be greatly appreciated!

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
I had a male mystery snail for a while and recently moved him to my 60 gallon and got him two friends. I saw him mate with one (not a creep lol) twice in as many days. I can't drop my water level too much, it's dropped by 2-3 inches right now and there's no way I can get it lower because of my HOB. Is there something I can do to help out with the eggs, or is this space enough? I've read some conflicting information on it, and now I'm just confused. Also any tips for feeding the babies and all would be greatly appreciated!
After I dropped my water level 3 inches, I got 3 clutches, 1 clutch a day. So it's a waiting game now, lol. Do you have a tank hood? Is there a bunch of condensation collecting under it and on the tank walls?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
StormTrooper said:
After I dropped my water level 3 inches, I got 3 clutches, 1 clutch a day. So it's a waiting game now, lol. Do you have a tank hood? Is there a bunch of condensation collecting under it and on the tank walls?
Yes, and I'm actually a little concerned about the amount.... one side it's literally dripping due to a really strong airstone, but the other side might work... it's working for the stinking fruit flies (an infestation that turned into the snails' favorite snack lol)

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would just wait, it'll probably happen real soon. I mean not to take away your hope or anything but snails can store sperm for up to 4 months and she might just want to lay them when she feels comfortable. But I would assume since you just lowered your water level, you're chances are much higher and sooner. Give it a week or two, and I'll bet you'll have a clutch or two.

Also, giving them excessive amounts of food I've heard will induce breeding!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awesome, thank you so much for the information!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom