Mystery Snail breeding tank - Any other fish?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I lost our last snails right before COVID started so we haven't been out to fish stores in a long time, Thankfully I had an awesome friend who just had a clutch and was happy to share some with me then I also bought some Jade ones on eBay I am eagerly awaiting!

I am hoping to set up another breeding set up but I wanted to know if any of you guys had success having them in tanks with other fish and breeding? In the past I had them set up with my BN pleco breeding trio which worked fine but honestly that was just a LOT of poop and it became a very high maintenance tank. I am not thinking I want to deal with that high of a bioload in a breeding tank again so plecos and snails are not a good option together haha!

My kids absolutely love the snails so having a all snail tank isn't completely out of the question
I guess I'm hoping some of you had success with like a trio of guppies or something in there with them

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have guppies with my mystery snails and they are all doing good, no issues. I also have bettas with mystery snails, but bettas can be a hit or more depending on temperament.

OP
e_watson09

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Desi said:
I have guppies with my mystery snails and they are all doing good, no issues. I also have bettas with mystery snails, but bettas can be a hit or more depending on temperament.
Are your mystery snails breeding or just co-existing with the betta? I figured bettas would eat the snail babies

Gabrielle25

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 4 mystery snails, guppies, mollies, plateys ,cory catfish and 2 glow tetras together and they have mated and had a clutch... All 58 babies hatch and all 58 babies are still alive... So yea they will have a clutch but i had incubated them my self just a little help i guess u can say... But other then that u can add fish... They will still have a clutch... Good luck

OP
e_watson09

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gabrielle25 said:
I have 4 mystery snails, guppies, mollies, plateys ,cory catfish and 2 glow tetras together and they have mated and had a clutch... All 58 babies hatch and all 58 babies are still alive... So yea they will have a clutch but i had incubated them my self just a little help i guess u can say... But other then that u can add fish... They will still have a clutch... Good luck
Awesome! Thanks for the response!! I think I'm going to look into a trio of livebearers!

Gabrielle25

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Be careful my guppies keep having babies... Mollies didnt bare yet but these guppys... Ill tell u something... Your going to love seeing babies just pop up out of no where... I know i did... And i didnt even evxpect them ...

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
e_watson09 said:
Are your mystery snails breeding or just co-existing with the betta? I figured bettas would eat the snail babies
They had several clutches of eggs, but I move them to a different tank to hatch out.

New Threads