Mystery Snail Breeding Issues

jcollyard

Hello! My mystery snails lay eggs constantly so I decided to try my hand at hatching and raising them. Unfortunately, all of the baby snails from the clutches that have successfully hatched have ultimately died. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing room. I set up a separate 10 gallon cycled tank. The tank has been going for months. I incubate the clutches in a Tupperware container with moist, aquarium water paper towel. Once they start erupting I move the clutch to a floating piece of styrofoam. Most of the snails never want to leave the styrofoam and the ones that do all ultimately end up dying. I’m not sure what to do. Any advice?

Attachments

Cheesecake

jcollyard said:
Hello! My mystery snails lay eggs constantly so I decided to try my hand at hatching and raising them. Unfortunately, all of the baby snails from the clutches that have successfully hatched have ultimately died. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing room. I set up a separate 10 gallon cycled tank. The tank has been going for months. I incubate the clutches in a Tupperware container with moist, aquarium water paper towel. Once they start erupting I move the clutch to a floating piece of styrofoam. Most of the snails never want to leave the styrofoam and the ones that do all ultimately end up dying. I’m not sure what to do. Any advice?
They would probably have the highest chance of survival if you left them where the snail deposits the clutch. Moving them might cause a premature hatch.

fjh

You might try crumbling the egg hatch straight into the water instead of letting them hatch naturally. What are the exact parameters of the tank when the snails hatch (and die)? How quickly do they die? Are there any tankmates?

Also, why is there foam on the top of your tank?

Bettybrown922

I had one very successful egg clutch hatch & when I saw the babies were coming out onto the paper towel, I put them into the water & crumbled the rest of the clutch straight into the water. I think you're waiting too long to put them into the water, maybe. Here are my lil' baby snails at 2 1/2 months:

BabySnails4.MyS.jpg

BabySnails2.MyS.jpg

jcollyard

Cheesecake said:
They would probably have the highest chance of survival if you left them where the snail deposits the clutch. Moving them might cause a premature hatch.
Unfortunately the last time I did that the fish in the tank ate all of the babies.

jcollyard

fjh said:
You might try crumbling the egg hatch straight into the water instead of letting them hatch naturally. What are the exact parameters of the tank when the snails hatch (and die)? How quickly do they die? Are there any tankmates?

Also, why is there foam on the top of your tank?
Thank you! I did that with the first one and I thought maybe I ended up taking them out too soon but I’ll try again with the clutch that’s currently incubating.
The “foam” is just air bubbles from an air stone.

jcollyard

Bettybrown922 said:
I had one very successful egg clutch hatch & when I saw the babies were coming out onto the paper towel, I put them into the water & crumbled the rest of the clutch straight into the water. I think you're waiting too long to put them into the water, maybe. Here are my lil' baby snails at 2 1/2 months:

BabySnails4.MyS.jpg

BabySnails2.MyS.jpg
Good to know, thank you for the suggestion! I crumbled one clutch and I was afraid I had done that too soon. I’ll try again next time.

fjh

jcollyard said:
Unfortunately the last time I did that the fish in the tank ate all of the babies.
What fish do you have? Are you hatching them into their own tank? If not, what will their tankmates be?

Debbie1986

I raised the 1 clutch 1 had in a 10 gallon with just snails in it.

when I saw the babies were hatching, I left the lid off the tupperware & they climbed into the tank on their own when ready.

I had used duct tape to secure the tupperware container to side of tank so it woudl not float under the filter

I ended up with close to 80 snails total. I had snails everywhere!!!! Until I grew them out 2 ten gallon tanks + in my 38 gallon ( size of a gumball) and surrendered most to local store just to free up space.

then with 30 mystery snails left, even that was too many. I got rid of 12 more size of a golfball in june or July. I'm down to around 14 now over 11 tanks.

It was a cool experience , but IMO have contacts ready for the babies once old enough to rehome. It really became a burden until I downsized to current level.

to make it worse, I accidentally gave away the 1 true purple snail out of the clutch and I was like whatever, I was so over it all.

Top Bottom