Mystery snail body disappeared

1. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Hi all! I last cleaned my 5 gal (fluval long rectangle one) shrimp tank about a week ago and at that point my snail hadn't been moving for a day, so I picked him up and sniffed. He seemed pulled into his shell and didn't smell, so I put him back.

Today I realized that his trapdoor was laying in the middle of the tank and his shell still looked dark, so I was going to pull him out... the body's gone! The shell was just full of sand. I'm -pretty- sure that when I took him out last week, he was actually still in there, though I could be wrong. And I can't find his body in the tank.

What I have in that tank is about 40 RCS, about 10 adult adults, 20 mid-sized but breeding age adults, and 10 very small ones. And probably some more shrimplets. And then a few MTS. Is it possible that they ATE him? I don't have a problem with this, but I'm wondering if I should start sifting through that tank trying to find him.

The only thing different is that the nitrates might be a little high, around 20 ppm? They're normally lower (inverts as only bioload, lots and lots of guppy grass and a few pieces of duckweed as well). Ammonia is 0 or 0.25 ppm. 0 nitrites.

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I had a large snail die, in a snail only tank, one day (she was alive the day before) and when I found her the next day, she was half gone so I guess in a week they may have eaten her or she decomposed?
    Sorry for your loss.x

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

MTS eat any organic matter. If the body fell out of the shell, they probably ate it.

4. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry for your loss :(

More than likely it was eaten. The fish/snails move fast when they sense a decaying ANYTHING! If its not completely gone, it will be in a few days! It's that fast!

5. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Thanks all! I've not had anything move on a snail body that fast before. Usually I find them after they've been dead a day or two, and the specific fish in the community tank are apparently not really interested. The MTS are really a great crew!

This snail was from a fellow FL member; I got three blue snails sometime in the winter. My avatar has a baby version of one of those snails in it :p I think this is the longest I've had mysteries live (other than the one that is still going in the community). The pet store ones usually die earlier.

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

That's interesting you say that because of all of the Mystery snails I have ever had, the longest they have lived is 1.5 years! My 4 oldest Nerites are 2.5 years old and I have never had a Nerite just "die"

My MTS snails NEVER just "DIED" :mad: and neither did any of my Assassins... I no longer keep Mystery snails ( or MTS or Assassins )
    Got rid of the MTS and Assassins because I got tired of them both breeding out of control...

7. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Interesting! Yeah, I always thought that mine should live longer than they do. Maybe I'm not feeding them enough =\

ETA that my pH is 7.9 and the GH out of tap is 9 drops. I also have a cuttlebone in my filter.

8. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Mine were fed quite enough and had access to veggies 24/7. My ph is between 8.0 - 8.2 and I give liquid calcium twice a week. I don't know what else would give them a longer life as they just seem to "die" with no rhyme or reason. Like I said, all of my other snails are just fine and hardly ever die if ever!