Mystery Snail Behaviors

Pbrown

Greetings! Been awhile since I shared, but I have a question.
I know I’m pushing the environment a little bit. See the picture of my snail-tank below. I know it is smaller than ideal for my two mystery snails. But… it SEEMS to be working. They have gotten huge and follow a pretty steady routine. I feed them veggies and algae wafers routinely.

But, I just want to make sure there isn’t an issue. As you see, in the past few weeks, my snails are CONSTANTLY like this in the picture. It’s always the Golden on top of my Blue. I assumed this was mating. BUT, it is CONSTANT.

And yesterday, my Blue SOMEHOW managed to escape. (With the plants sharing the ecosystem, there’s no foolproof way to close the top off.) This was the first this happened. (It was very dramatic! My daughters and I searching the whole room, finding my poor blue in the toe of an empty shoe!) Blue is fine. But… I wonder.

I read that they do this when they want to lay eggs. Which could be consistent with their behavior.

But, I also wondered if it could be it fled because the environment is too small. (?). I know they can’t HURT eachother and be aggressive in that manner…but, might they be territorial in regards to food/space?

Attachments

• FA1C53B9-F577-4700-8D0A-48B871B673FF.jpeg
    FA1C53B9-F577-4700-8D0A-48B871B673FF.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 644135D9-2DAB-4E11-9EA3-707E29374673.jpeg
    644135D9-2DAB-4E11-9EA3-707E29374673.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 13

BigManAquatics

Snails ride on top of each other often. Nerites are even worse about it in my experience! And snails do tend to get out if they can...don't even totally know if it is on purpose, but if you can't keep the top closed, always be aware a snail very well may be found outside at any given time. Personally, i think they get bored and like adventures.

Pbrown

Snails ride on top of each other often. Nerites are even worse about it in my experience! And snails do tend to get out if they can...don't even totally know if it is on purpose, but if you can't keep the top closed, always be aware a snail very well may be found outside at any given time. Personally, i think they get bored and like adventures.
Thx for the feedback.
I’m experimenting with ways to close off the opening more, but alas, it’s trial and error. As I said, with the plants growing out of it… it can’t be fully enclosed. But… I can make it harder for them!

I was shocked it got out. I’ve had them 3 mo and haven’t had any issues with escaping. Guess i shoulda named him Houdini!

BigManAquatics

Thx for the feedback.
I’m experimenting with ways to close off the opening more, but alas, it’s trial and error. As I said, with the plants growing out of it… it can’t be fully enclosed. But… I can make it harder for them!

I was shocked it got out. I’ve had them 3 mo and haven’t had any issues with escaping. Guess i shoulda named him Houdini!
I had a snail about a month ago escape and go completely across the house. Put it back in the tank and it has been just fine!

Pbrown

I had a snail about a month ago escape and go completely across the house. Put it back in the tank and it has been just fine!
Well, he managed to get out again.
Went to bed and he was in the tank.
Went to get dressed, and bumped him on the floor. Hopefully I did not hurt him.
Back in the tank and monitoring.
No movement yet, but he had quite the adventure so… we’ll see!

many advice on how to cover the bowl more efficiently is appreciated! They are SNEAKY!

BigManAquatics

Maybe tinfoil with holes cut for the plants? Snails might be able to push it out of the way, but may be enough of a deterrent to stay inside.

mattgirl

I have to be perfectly honest. In my humble opinion that bowl is way too small for even 1 let alone 2 mystery snails. I have to think this snail is trying to find a better place to live. Mystery snails have big appetites so are heavy waste producers. With all those rocks in there filling almost half the bowl there is not much water in there to dilute the waste they are producing.

I had one of my very many mystery snail leave one of my tanks one time. It came out of the 5.5 gallon tank I was using as a grow out tank. I put a bigger filter on the tank and it never happened again. All of my mystery snails are now in a 55 gallon tank. The top is wide open and none of the about 40 snails in there have attempted to come out. If they are kept in a comfortable home normally they have no reason to escape.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• ittbituni
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Aaronious
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
  • Hayden2205
  • Snails