Mystery Snail Baby Colors

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ladyrivermouse, Dec 29, 2018.

1. ladyrivermouse

ladyrivermouseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +70
    My clutch hatched about a week ago, they're all doing well but I've never had speckled mystery snail babies before. What color are these snails? Is it too soon to tell? 20181229_214559.20181225_232226.20181225_232331.20181221_165231.

2. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    Unfortunately it's too early to tell, the speckling is 100% normal, and I think the only thing that can be ruled out is ivory.
    What colors were the two parent snails? I should be able to tell you what the babies will be based on that.
    Otherwise, it takes around 1-2 months to tell the color, but it takes 3ish to differentiate black vs Jade snails

4. OP
    OP
    ladyrivermouse

Ratings:
    +70
    The parents are Ivory and black. The first clutch that hatched came from a little girl I had just bought though, so there is a chance that the parents of that clutch could both be black.
    My very first snail pair last year were solid ivory and gold so I've never seen the the speckles before. The father of these babies is actually offspring of that first pair.
    Do the speckles turn in to stripes?

5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    They are probably going to be black babies, since the dark foot, stripes, and dark shell color are dominant, while light foot, no stripes, and no shell color is recessive.
    I'm not sure if the speckled turn into stripes, but that actually makes a lot of sense

6. OP
    OP
    ladyrivermouse

Ratings:
    +70
    So their shells are turning like a dark green and gold color and some of their feet are light with speckles and some of them are dark. It looks like there's definitely some black snails in the hatchery. I've not seen a black snail with a light foot though, is that weird? 20190126_010144.20190126_010151_001.20190126_010250.20190126_010334.

7. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    Maybe you'll get some Jade! But they do look like brown/black babies to be. If you had light footed babies, their feet would have been so see through that you wouldn't have been able to see them! Would have looked like tiny moving transluscent shells.

8. OP
    OP
    ladyrivermouse

Ratings:
    +70
    I've resigned myself to the idea That they're mostly black, but some of the very small hatchlings from the last clutch look like they are starting to for very light feet, they look like small shells gliding along the tank. Still have a clutch incubating too so in curious about what comes from that. I did think about getting a few gold and blues to vary the gene pool and colors.

9. Crysta

CrystaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    4 years
    Looks like a Jade mystery snail to me

10. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    The baby blacks look like Jades for 3-4 months, unfortunately you can't tell till then.