Mystery Snail Baby Colors

ladyrivermouse

My clutch hatched about a week ago, they're all doing well but I've never had speckled mystery snail babies before. What color are these snails? Is it too soon to tell?
20181229_214559.jpg
20181225_232226.jpg
20181225_232331.jpg
20181221_165231.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Unfortunately it's too early to tell, the speckling is 100% normal, and I think the only thing that can be ruled out is ivory.
What colors were the two parent snails? I should be able to tell you what the babies will be based on that.
Otherwise, it takes around 1-2 months to tell the color, but it takes 3ish to differentiate black vs Jade snails

OP
L

ladyrivermouse

Rtessy said:
Unfortunately it's too early to tell, the speckling is 100% normal, and I think the only thing that can be ruled out is ivory.
What colors were the two parent snails? I should be able to tell you what the babies will be based on that.
Otherwise, it takes around 1-2 months to tell the color, but it takes 3ish to differentiate black vs Jade snails
The parents are Ivory and black. The first clutch that hatched came from a little girl I had just bought though, so there is a chance that the parents of that clutch could both be black.
My very first snail pair last year were solid ivory and gold so I've never seen the the speckles before. The father of these babies is actually offspring of that first pair.
Do the speckles turn in to stripes?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
They are probably going to be black babies, since the dark foot, stripes, and dark shell color are dominant, while light foot, no stripes, and no shell color is recessive.
I'm not sure if the speckled turn into stripes, but that actually makes a lot of sense

OP
L

ladyrivermouse

So their shells are turning like a dark green and gold color and some of their feet are light with speckles and some of them are dark. It looks like there's definitely some black snails in the hatchery. I've not seen a black snail with a light foot though, is that weird?
20190126_010144.jpg
20190126_010151_001.jpg
20190126_010250.jpg
20190126_010334.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Maybe you'll get some Jade! But they do look like brown/black babies to be. If you had light footed babies, their feet would have been so see through that you wouldn't have been able to see them! Would have looked like tiny moving transluscent shells.

OP
L

ladyrivermouse

Rtessy said:
Maybe you'll get some Jade! But they do look like brown/black babies to be. If you had light footed babies, their feet would have been so see through that you wouldn't have been able to see them! Would have looked like tiny moving transluscent shells.
I've resigned myself to the idea That they're mostly black, but some of the very small hatchlings from the last clutch look like they are starting to for very light feet, they look like small shells gliding along the tank. Still have a clutch incubating too so in curious about what comes from that. I did think about getting a few gold and blues to vary the gene pool and colors.

Crysta

ladyrivermouse said:
So their shells are turning like a dark green and gold color and some of their feet are light with speckles and some of them are dark. It looks like there's definitely some black snails in the hatchery. I've not seen a black snail with a light foot though, is that weird?
20190126_010144.jpg
20190126_010151_001.jpg
20190126_010250.jpg
20190126_010334.jpg
Looks like a Jade mystery snail to me

New Threads