Mystery Snail Babies! Help!

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Just found two tiny little snails in my 10 gallon betta tank. Took the big one out for closer inspection, and it appears my mystery snail had babies. I haven't seen an egg clutch at all, but here I am, with who knows how many baby snails in here. What should I do? I'd like to save them all. Can I put them in a tub or big jar to grow out in?

All pictures are of the same baby. 7523ea17100b6434573bfbbfb58e8394.jpg 7c6e5f1b57b5b7dd4debf07917f3b4fc.jpg 995ffda59dc19860ac83702fd19e0820.jpg

I found such a tiny one...
    Moving them into a temporary container as i see them. Don't want my betta to eat them. e28117d69f5b6f9eab60e7d18692faff.jpg

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Those are not mystery snails - they are pond/bladder snails - some consider pests. Did you get new plants? They must have hitchhiked on them.

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Really? No, not any new plants recently. The bigger one has a trapdoor and looks just like a mystery snail.
    I can believe the smaller one is, though.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

From the pointyness of the shell, it looks more like a pest snail - Could be the angle of the camera

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Looks like my mystery snails. At least the big one does. Ill try to take some better pictures.
    I don't mind if they are pest snails, but I'd like to figure out what they are.

6. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Yeah, probably a pest snail. Where did it come from? Still pretty cute. 73b08810cdd8e0b8434b57455bfbe01c.jpg

7. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails lay a clutch of eggs the size of your little finger. It will be pink and stuck to the glass or lid above the water line. Keep it warm and humid and you will see the snails develop in the eggs if fertile. Hatch in about 2weeks

8. IceFyre1414

IceFyre1414 Well Known Member Member

Those pest snails seem to appear out of nowhere sometimes, you might never know where they came from. They don't generally harm plants and can help aerate the substrate, but they multiply very fast and can add to the bioload significantly. I have a "litter" of mystery snail babies myself right now and those don't really look like mystery snails to me, though you might have to wait until they grow a bit to be sure. It would be hard to miss a clutch of mystery snail eggs, they are big and often orange or pinkish.

9. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Alright, they are pest snails. Feel pretty stupid now lol since I knew that mystery snail clutches were hard to miss. I set up a little tub to keep the pest snails in because i find them cute.