Mystery Snail Ate My Decorations...

gigigamble

Reaction score
I couldn't find much information on whether or not artificial decorations were potentially harmful to my tank creatures... but then I noticed my mystery snail had eaten the top layer of plastic off of one of the ornaments in my tank! I was under the impression that they were not able to scrape for food... I was wrong. Have since removed all potential harmful decorations, and have left in my natural displays only.

Has anyone else come across this? It's just a baby snail, maybe 2cm across...

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have about 40 of them in my big tank ( the only tank with artificial decor) and nothing has happened to any of it.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gigigamble said:
I couldn't find much information on whether or not artificial decorations were potentially harmful to my tank creatures... but then I noticed my mystery snail had eaten the top layer of plastic off of one of the ornaments in my tank! I was under the impression that they were not able to scrape for food... I was wrong. Have since removed all potential harmful decorations, and have left in my natural displays only.

Has anyone else come across this? It's just a baby snail, maybe 2cm across...
Scrapping is how they feed. What are you feeding it? It must be very hungry if it is eating plastic. Quality algae wafers are a good supplement to their diet.

Mouth parts of one of my mysteries.

_MG_8407 copy.0.jpg

_MG_8409 copy.0.jpg

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Scrapping is how they feed. What are you feeding it? It must be very hungry if it is eating plastic. Quality algae wafers are a good supplement to their diet.

Mouth parts of one of my mysteries.

_MG_8407 copy.0.jpg

_MG_8409 copy.0.jpg
I'm not a fan of mystery snail but those pics are great.

New Threads