Mystery Snail Acting Strange

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score

Hello! This is my first post on here but I will try to be as clear as possible. I got a mystery snail 2 weeks ago and lately it has been staying stuck to the wall of the tank right below the waterline. He stays in pretty much the exact same spot the entire day, and I'm worried that he isnt getting any food ( I provide blanched zucchini, which he originally loved, bottom feeder pellets, and algae pellets. none are being eaten.) after sitting for long periods of time, he closes up and rapidly falls. he doesnt open up again for about 20 minutes- when he does, he then goes right back up. He is in a tank with a very energetic, but friendly/nonaggressive betta. I'll fill out all of the "Sick fish" template below- thank you in advance!
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3.5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? about 4 weeks.
Does it have a filter? yes, hang on back small whisper filter.
Does it have a heater? Used to, but the water was 82 and I read that it can upset snails. so, my room temp is now about 77, with the tank reading the same.
What is the water temperature? 77
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 male veiltail betta & 1 ivory mystery snail.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I change water out around once-twice a week.
How much of the water do you change? about 30%
What do you use to treat your water? Betta bowl plus, and one that removes chlorine and adds a slime coat.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I have not gotten a siphon yet but I am planning to within the next week.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I let it run after adding starter bacteria and conditioner for about a week.
What do you use to test the water? I have test strips.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
*the strips react by color, so I would need to give an estimation, sorry!*
Ammonia: Unkown, but use a conditioner that eliminates ammonia
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: around 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Betta- once a day, snail- I drop food in every day but he rarely eats it.
How much do you feed your fish? betta- a small pinch of protein/fiber flakes, snail- bottom feeder pellets, algae wafers, and blanched zucchini.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra, Api, and hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? about 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? four days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Stays at top, and will close up almost fully then falls very rapidly to the bottom. he will then sit closed up for about 15-20 minutes before showing movement, then he goes right back up to the top (ignoring all food)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I read that they can behave abnormally due to calcium deficiencies so i added a calcium tablet, but thats it.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? he seemed to be very active in the store tank, which is why i chose him. his shell looked slightly thin, but not bad compared to the others.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? more lethargic? went from very energetic and exploring the tank all day to staying in one spot and not moving.

Kittenluna

Valued Member
Reaction score
You might want to make a platform closer to surface for it to rest on for awhile in case it would like to get more air. Snails are sensitive to ph changes if not kept the same when changing water. That could affect and slow it down.
Do you have a picture of it?

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just took a couple! the one where he is climbing up the wall next to the betta was about a week ago when he was acting normal. I tried using a mini air pump and air stone but the betta didnt like it. I also have a "betta hammock" coming in the mail soon, as well as a little cave for either of them to hide in.
Its hard to see in the pictures, but theres a prominent line on the shell that Im not sure if its a crack, or growth.

Attachments

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a pretty small tank for a mystery snail and a betta in my opinion, and it's not cycled. Starter bacteria prob did nothin cuz u added it before u had the betta and snail in there and the bacteria needs an ammonia source. Plus it still takes longer then a week to cycle. Also u should get an api master test kit cuz the strips aren't accurate. I know cuz Ive had the strips and compared to the liquid kit they are way off. Anyway snails will hang out at top sometimes but kinda weird he's not eating at all. Did u leave the food over night and still didn't touch it? Im sure u know this but make sure u get any uneaten food out of the tank within 24hrs. I used to use a turkey baster to suck stuff out, u could use that til u get an actual vacuum, or use a hose of some kind. It's prob a water issue but wont know for sure til u get a test kit. That's one of the most important things u can have when u have aquatic life. Also I wouldn't put anythin in the tank unless u know that's the problem. I'm sure the tablet didn't hurt but it's prob not great for the betta but I could b wrong, I've had snails but never had to add tablets. I hope u figure out the problem cuz mysterys are awesome! I wish u luck and hope more people come with their opinions/input

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok now i am VERY worried. he just partially opened and his foot is curled. I have not seen him do this before. he has been sitting like this for a few minutes

Ok thank you for telling me!! at the store they told me I would be fine adding them in after my "setup" But i'll definitely get a better test kit when I get paid, thank you!!!!

Attachments

Kittenluna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you know how old it is? It could be reaching its time. The warmer the water the faster metabolism, so age faster.
Mystery snails get lines in their shell when they switch aquariums theyre in. It doesn't effect them im any way. Its more of a cosmetic thing

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also, alot of people use a cuttle bone for calcium supplement for their snails. It's super cheap at petstores just fyi and prob a safer bet then tablets.

mikalac said:
Ok thank you for telling me!! at the store they told me I would be fine adding them in after my "setup" But i'll definitely get a better test kit when I get paid, thank you!!!!
Ya I wouldn't believe alot of what they tell u at the store they just want to sell stuff. There are some good stores tho. This place will help with any questions u have, someone on here is bound to have experience or the answer to any questions.

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So first I'd get the tank cycled. The betta needs it cycled.

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mikalac said:
ok now i am VERY worried. he just partially opened and his foot is curled. I have not seen him do this before. he has been sitting like this for a few minutes
mine have stayed at the bottom in their shells for days not moving but we're fine. But I'm gonna bet it's ammonia in the water so if I were u I'd do at least a 30% maybe 40-50% water change now and another tomorrow and everyday after til ur tank cycles. AND to get any uneaten food out of there too. Make sure the new water is the same temp as the tank and is conditioned. Then after water change maybe turn off tank light so he can chill out a bit. Keep us posted plz, he's very cute. Oh and ur betta's health will also depend on the daily water changes for now

Sorry just wanted to say u should look into gettin a bigger tank too if u wanna keep the mystery snail. Atleast 5 gallons but 10 would b better. Sometimes different pet shops have $1 per gallon sale through out the year. Or maybe since u haven't had him long u can take him back and get something different, a way smaller snail.

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!!! Im getting paid in a week, so Ill look into buying everything suggested. Ill also post updates!

I also have no idea how old it is, but hes only about an inch big. in my community tank i have a mystery as well and hes much larger (about 2 inches). hes thriving in that tank, and i set it up the same way as my betta tank- thats why im confused on why only one is sick.

mikalac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Update- I decided to move the little guy into our big community tank that has some guppies and neons and hes now doing fine! We use the same water treatments, so i just think that the bettas high energy stressed him out. thank you for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom