Mystery snail acting odd

Matt Ireland
My mystery snail has not been active for the past week and a half . Most of the time he is halfway out of his shell, but he has yet to actually move. It all started when my crayfish pinched him . I did a smell test on him and he was normal. He also has been letting out this gooey clear stuff. I need answers plz

el337
What are your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp? Usually when they excrete a substance from their bodies, it's due to ammonia/nitrite poisoning. If your crayfish did hurt him, it could be damage from that as well.

I'd separate your crayfish and snail asap.

Matt Ireland
Tempature is 77. P.H. Is 7.5. Ammonia is zero Nitrate and nitrite are zero. I use test strips. my rabbit snail is all perfect he is all over the tank eating all the algae I've never seen the stuff come off of him

el337
Test strips are very inaccurate. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is much more accurate so I would recommending getting that to see what your actual parameters are.

What size tank is this? And what else do you have in it? I'd isolate the mystery snail in a separate tank and the rabbit snail as well before your crayfish attacks it too.

Matt Ireland
el337
How long has this tank been set up? Your profile indicates you don't know the nitrogen cycle so I'm guessing it's not cycled? If so, I would read up on it.

I'm sorry to say this but none of those fish you have belong in a 10 gallon and definitely not with a crayfish. I would rehome all of them unless you could get a 55 gallon minimum and then leave the crayfish in the 10g.

Matt Ireland
I don't know how to change my profile. My tank has been cycled. I do know the nitrogen cycle. But I did not at first

I will also mention that my cray is dwarf

Everybody is pretty smalll

Advertisement
el337
If you've been testing with strips, it wouldn't be a reliable way to verify if you are cycled. And with that stock, I'd expect to see SOME nitrates and not zero unless you had a heavily planted tank.

If you're on the app, this should help:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-profile-info-from-your-mobile-device.198209/

Edit: It won't matter that they're small. They may or may not grow to their adult size and you will see health issues, aggression and stress from the cramped space they're in. I realize some people do keep crayfish with fish but it's not recommended and you can already see that it's not a good idea.

Matt Ireland
My tank has been set up for over a month. I also took my water to my LFS and they tested with drops and said it was good

el337
My tank has been set up for over a month. I also took my water to my LFS and they tested with drops and said it was good

"Good" doesn't mean cycled. If they didn't tell you what those numbers were, you'd have no idea if you're cycled or not.

Matt Ireland
They didn't actually say good. I was just saying that they tested it and everything was on point. They r the ones who supplied me with my fish and invertebrates

el337
Did they give you the actual numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

They didn't do a good job of giving you the right fish for your tank size either. Skirt tetras are schooling fish that need to be in a group of at least 6+. These would alone overstock your tank. Blue gouramis get up to 6 inches and honey gouramis, while small, are still very active fish and are not suitable in a 10g.

Matt Ireland
Yes they gave me numbers I don't remember them though

el337
It would be a good idea to get that API Master Test Kit so you can verify if you're truly cycled or not.

Matt Ireland
Ok thx !!

Bithimala
Stocking issues aside as they have been discussed, regarding the snail, he is probably secreting mucus and trying to heal up from the crayfish attacking him. As previously mentioned, the mucus is generally a sign of an issue of some sort. I have a feeling he probably won't feel comfortable until he's away from the cray, so I would suggest separating them.

Additionally, have you had him for a while or is he a recent addition. The shells looks a bit beat up, so just wondering if you've had him for a bit. What have you been feeding the snails?

Matt Ireland
I have had him for about a week and a half I feed all of my algae eaters with half an algae tablet. My mystery snail likes to eat the leftover shrimp pellets from my cray

Bithimala
I would definitely suggest getting him something to supplement the food you are giving him that will have some extra calcium. Mine get a mix of green beans (canned, no salt added), zucchini, and snail jello. You may also want to consider putting some cuttlebone or something in the tank for some extra calcium. Mysteries, in most cases, don't really eat much algae.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JaksAquatics
Replies
Views
Noahhr
Replies
Views
mikalac
Replies
Views