Mystery snail acting Mysteriously

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For the past couple of days, I've noticed him balancing on the end of the swirly part of his shell-sutures I think is the correct term-but I don't know.

He just sits like that, fiddling around or chilling-it really weird.

Does anyone else observe this behaviour?

He's 1 year 8 months old if that means anything.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A picture might help if possible! Has there been any changes in the tank lately? Is he still spending time snailing around like normal?

The swirly bit of the shell is called the whorls by the way, though sutures does still get the idea across.

OP
F

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the response, Salem; and also for the improved anatomy 411.

Here is a pic of him just chillin or fiddling...

He did this on a massive piece of slopy driftood-he was balancing right on the very tip of the whorly bit on a pretty steep angle and we were just waiting for him to tip over. (best entertainment of the night) After long minutes, he finally lost his balance backwards.

Should I be embarrassed by my son's algae problem?( :p) I never handle him so don't want to stress him out by brushing it off.

He's in an established 20 Long with 3 nerites, 2 bamboo shrimp, a handful of male cherries and some constantly beeding metae corydoras random plants, pfs and the biggest piece of single driftood I could stuff in there without blowing out the sides.

I've had him since he was as little as a smiley:cool:

Attachments

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm fairly sure that it shouldn't be much of a problem as long as he can right himself. It's a bit odd that it keeps happening so it's a good idea to just keep an eye out for any changes. I know some of my black devil snails sometimes end up upside down too just because they let go with their foot and the weight of their shell spins them around.

New Threads