Mystery Rainbowfish Question

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by KeegansTropiks, Aug 21, 2019.

1. KeegansTropiks

KeegansTropiksValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi guys so I’ve been keeping Dwarf Rainbowfish for a bit now as I have the Pacific blue eyes and a honey blue eye and when I went to the pet store they had 2 unknown dwarf Rainbowfish which the employee had no idea what they were aswel.

They were getting a bit picked on in the store by tiger barbs so I thought might aswel buy them and ended up as an impulse buy.

They are healthy and eating I just wanted to know if anyone can ID them. The slightly bigger one has less colour but I think they both males. Smaller one very yellow with blue line across his body. Check out the pics and let me know what type of fish they are. Thanks :).

Attached Files:

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm not usually the go to guy for Rainbow Fish, but I have kept a few over the years. My guess is they are
    Celebes Rainbows. I've never kept this variety.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would agree, very young Celebes Rainbowfish. Telmatherina in the old books, genus was changed to Marosatherina, species is ladigesi. They can get about 3.5 inches, but a good male gets a lot of finnage.

4. OP
    OP
    KeegansTropiks

Ratings:
    +26
    Thank you, yep looked them up they must be Celebes.

5. OP
    OP
    KeegansTropiks

Ratings:
    +26
    Thank you mate :)