Mystery Or Nerite Snails

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Katie13, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

What is the maximum number of Mysteries or Nerites in a 15, 20H, 29, 37, or 60 gallon?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

With fish or alone?

These numbers are for average community tanks

Mysteries
    15- about 3
    20- about 3-4
    29- about 6
    37- about 8
    60- about 15

In a mystery only tank you could have more

Nerites (in an average community tank with no other algae eaters)
    15- 2-3
    20- about 3
    29- about 4
    37- about 5
    60- about 7

If there was loads of algae you could have more.

3. OP
    OP
    Katie13

No other algae eaters, but I may add a pleco(s). There's plenty of algae in most of them. Could I keep them in my other 60 with Melanochromis Auratus? It has a ton of algae, and agreddion doesn't seem to be too bad. I've heard the general rule is 1 every 3-5 gallons, but I've never kept more than one in Betta tanks.

4. BottomDweller

I have a very small (1.5") BN pleco in my 63 gallon with 2 normal nerite snails and 1 horned nerite. When I just had the snails there was always plenty of algae for them all but since I have added the pleco there is almost no algae so I had to take the snails out and out them in another tank that had enough algae for them.

With mysteries you have their large bioload to worry about when thinking about stocking levels with them but with nerites you need to be more concerned about how much they'll have to eat.

5. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I had just been considering adding a Pleco to the 60 off and on as there's a large amount of algae. I'm not too worried about bioload good filters, water changes 2-3 times a week (1 is a gravel vac), and none of the tanks are near fully stocked.

6. OP
    OP
    Katie13

@BottomDweller What would be the maximum number of Mystery Snails in a 5 gallon Mystery Snail only tank or a tank that possibly also has shrimp?

7. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

I think two mysteries would be ok in a five.

8. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Could I do more in a heavily planted 5? Maybe 3 for breeding purposes?

9. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

I think so, I don't see why not as long as you don't try to put other poop makers in there. LOL

10. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I'm wanting a number of colors, but I'd like to keep the color in the lines. To think I was never a big fan of snails.

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I'm not sure I'd do the maximum amount, because it'd be a lot. A cool thing to do in any of these sized tanks would be to get one of each type of color of nerite snail, like olive, tire tracked, zebra, horned, bumblebee, etc.

12. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I've been wondering about this myself. In my 20 gallon long, I have 2 mysteries and 3 nerites (2 black racers and 1 horned zebra). Wondering if I could do 3-4 mysteries (all different) and 5-6 nerites (2 black racers, 2 tiger, 1-2 horned) all together. When I get my 40B running I can always transfer some too. Might be a little overboard on the nerites.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I plan to stock my 20H with 6 Gold Rams (pairing) and 3-4 DGs 1m/2-3f. With that stock, how many Mysterys could I put in there? I plan to place an order for magentas tomorrow. I was thinking 4, but what do you think? I was thinking 5 might be pushing it, but I would like your opinions.

14. BottomDweller

I would do about 3 in a 20

15. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Could I get by with 4-5? As I'm going to order them, the price comes of better with shipping if I got 4-5. If necessary, I have other tanks they could be moved into.

16. BottomDweller

4 would probably be ok but they are quite large snails with a reasonably large bioload.

17. OP
    OP
    Katie13

The Golds are just for pairing, so permanent stock will only be Mysteries and DGs.

18. OP
    OP
    Katie13

It looks like I'll either be setting up a Bolivian tank earlier than expected or possibly getting 5. I haven't yet decided. The minimum order it about $0.20 less than what 4 would cost. @BottomDweller @James17 do you think I found do 5? If not, I will either purchase 1-2 of the larger size or set up a Bolivian tank and order 3 Magenta Mysterys and 2 Ivory Mysterys. My filter on the 20H should be able to handle the bioload of my stocking plan (6 Gold Rams, 3-4 DGs, and 3-5 Magenta Mysterys)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice