Help Mystery Illness - Possibly Ich?

Whatisacanada

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of an issue here. I've been asking questions in a goldfish keepers group on facebook for quite some time but never get much response. Hopefully someone here can help.
Please excuse all the explaining, this post is long overdue.
Some background: just about every weekend for the past 6 weeks or so I have had to leave home Friday night and return Sunday afternoon for personal matters. During this time I am an hour and a half away from home, so my father comes in and takes care of feeding the fish and turning on tank lights.
The tank in question is a 55 gallon that holds four goldfish and some snails. There was a bristlenose pleco as well but I have moved him for some time to make sure he is not part of the problem, though normally he keeps to himself aside from hitching a ride on the giant apple snail's shell occasionally.
Typically I do a 50-60% water change once a week, just before I leave Friday night.

About a month ago I noticed that one of my oranda had an unusually large "wen pimple," that after a full week had not gone away. Shortly after he began developing more, and currently has two large ones and one small one that has not gone away.
A few weeks ago, I came home to find that my black moor had a very obscure looking side injury (very weird appearance to a missing scale) and had developed some weird white filmy looking spots on one of her caudal lobes. I asked for advice from the goldfish group and was advised to treat with aquarium salt so I did.
After starting with salt, I noticed a large fin split developing on the caudal lobe where the spots were, I decided to begin treating with pimafix and melafix as it was all I had on hand.
After one week of treatment, the split had healed fully and the side injury did as well but the white filmy stuff was still there and had spread to the other lobe.
I did not quarantine her as it appears as though it may be on the other fish as well (but the places I think I see them are on their caudal fins which are white/transparent so I can't confirm).
I then began treating with paraguard, but after almost a full week I have seen zero change in the appearance of the growths.
Guinness (the black moor) has since lost two scales since the original scale loss. I have noticed some flashing/twitching in all of the fish on occasion so I think that may be why. I've removed anything I could that was not a filter or a plant.

I am attatching some photographs of the black moor that I just took tonight. Someone in the goldfish group suggested that it looked like ich, but from treating ich on fish before this has not manifested in the same way and I think at this point if it was ich it would have visibly spread to all of the fish, though I could be wrong.
These patches are for the most part clustered together, and are white with a bluish white haze surrounding them. Most are small but she has like two larger spots, one about the size/shape of a grain of rice.

Can someone please give a possible ID on whatever this is and suggest treatment options? The only medication I have left on hand that I have not tried is API Fin & Body Cure for which the active ingredient is Doxycycline Hyclate.
(any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated because I am at a complete loss at this point and don't know what else to do)
67301117_2362844470463612_6684782142825693184_n.jpg
67370339_2362844557130270_3806612592273653760_n.jpg
67371360_2362844410463618_3639119274435411968_n.jpg
67812021_2362844597130266_1950258114112520192_n.jpg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're right, It's not Ick. It looks like "Carp Pox". Its a non-lethal Herpes virus. There's really no cure. From what I've read about the disease, its inherited, usually affects younger fish and as their immune system matures the Carp Pox dissapear. No worries. Be sure to research.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes i agree with the others. Main thing is clean water daily. I know its alot of work. But being a goldfish lover myself i understand the undertaking it is to keep them, alot, alot of work. But it's worth it to me. Just keep up your water parameters and water changes.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom