Mystery Illness And Treatment

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have had my 20gal tank (housing 12 harlequin rasbora, 11 kuhli loach, 1 pearl gourami, 1 dwarf gourami and 2 assassin snails) coming up for a year. The rasbora were the first introduced post fishless cycle. i had a recent fatality of one rasbora and have a second in my quarantine tank as it’s displaying similar symptoms as the one that died - pale and very thin. I panicked it was TB but I think I’d be right in saying they’d all be displaying symptoms by now if those rasbora have been in since day one? If it came in with a later fish that would be the one to display symptoms?

Anyway. I’m guessing there might be some sort of parasite causing an issue. What do people use as a treatment which I can use as a preemptive treatment to make sure the rest of my tank doesn’t go down sick. I’d like to save my little guy in quarantine but it may not be possible.

Cheers!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never treated for parasites but I think Paraguard is suppose to be good. Let’s see if anyone else responds.

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DoubleDutch said:
What are the symptoms?
He is really really thin and pale. Photo is attached from before he was quarantined but isn’t that clear. I wonder whether there’s parastites which might be stopping him making use of food, cos he’s still eating.

Just for clarity. There’s 2 healthy rasbora there and he’s at the bottom of the photo looking thin and pale.

Attachments

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nope. Definitely harlequin rasbora. Here’s a better shot of him close up

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hannah M said:
Nope. Definitely harlequin rasbora. Here’s a better shot of him close up
Owww yes. OMG it is thin / bad looking indeed. Personally I think it is on an irreversable way out (sorry). I guess it is a bacterial issue, but which exactly is hard to say. I'd euthanise this one and keep the water clean as possible.

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah it’s horrid to see isn’t it shall I treat the main 20gal with a general anti bacterial treatment?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hannah M said:
Yeah it’s horrid to see isn’t it shall I treat the main 20gal with a general anti bacterial treatment?
To be honest I hate "general" treatment, but understand you want to do "something"

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom