Mystery Hitchhiker Id?

1. DeltaDawn37

DeltaDawn37 Valued Member Member

So this little guy gut hitchhiked in a while back on some spiral val and java fern I got from my lfs (which has a big tank with a ton of different plants growing together - Largest Selection of Aquatic Plants in the San Francisco Bay Area at Albany Aquarium is the stock list if you want candidates). It looks (looked?) like the tip of some stem plant that had gotten broken off - it was straight with evenly-spaced leaves and a couple roots growing along the stem - but it's a lot firmer and darker than any stem plants I've gotten before. I like collecting plants, so I tied it to a rock to anchor it and let it grow for 2 months, and this is what it looks like now; it's oddly not that much bigger than it was (I can only see noticeable growth in the roots, and the other plants in the tank have lost and grown many leaves in the meantime), but it seems healthy - no leaf loss at all. Any clues as to what it is?

20170730_103449.jpg 20170730_103449.jpg 20170730_103653.jpg 20170730_103744.jpg 20170730_103755.jpg 20170730_103824.jpg

2. skix

skix New Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    DeltaDawn37

See, I was thinking it does look a lot like that in some ways (leaf color and texture; I've been calling it my "anubias cosplay plant" in my head, lol) but I usually see anubias with asymmetrical growth of leaves and more roots, and this is extraordinarily small even for that. Also, my lfs keeps the anubias in a different tank for some reason.

Plus, I've been looking around for affordable nana petite/micro that isn't from shady online sellers (since my lfs charges like $13 a pop for anubias) and I feel it would just be too good to be true for the perfect specimen to have just tagged along for free and been sitting here for months... do you know any characteristics I could look for to verify its genus?

4. OP
    OP
    DeltaDawn37

Other than just waiting for it to flower, that is ;)