Mystery Fry

somethingingthewater

Reaction score
So, I have half a dozen tanks, and today I found my biggest surprise in the hobby so far. Mystery fry! In my feeder snail tank, a tank with absolutely no fish, I now have at least two tiny fry! My best guess is that they came in on the plants, from a community tank that has a harem of honey gouramis, or from a species tank of endlers. But seeing as there are no babies in either of those tanks I am just not sure. Help?

Attachments

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its probably impossible for most people to tell the difference between the fry species. We have a 3 week old brood of Fossorochromis right now, and they look pretty much identical to this guy. I would wait a few weeks until you get at least a defined body shape.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ooh, that's quite exciting. I love a good mystery.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not a live bearer so it must be an egg layer fry. Depending on what else was in the tank the plants came in, I'd guess it came from there. Honey gourami isn't a bad guess really, but if there's any tetras or danios it could be one of them too.

I think your little fry will grow pretty well with lots of plants. They will feed off of the micro organisms among the plants and when they are a bit bigger I'd start adding some micro worms and baby brine shrimp a couple times a day. I'm sure the snails will take care of any left overs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom