Mystery Fry

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by somethingingthewater, Apr 17, 2018.

1. somethingingthewater

somethingingthewaterNew MemberMember

So, I have half a dozen tanks, and today I found my biggest surprise in the hobby so far. Mystery fry! In my feeder snail tank, a tank with absolutely no fish, I now have at least two tiny fry! My best guess is that they came in on the plants, from a community tank that has a harem of honey gouramis, or from a species tank of endlers. But seeing as there are no babies in either of those tanks I am just not sure. Help?

Attached Files:

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Its probably impossible for most people to tell the difference between the fry species. We have a 3 week old brood of Fossorochromis right now, and they look pretty much identical to this guy. I would wait a few weeks until you get at least a defined body shape.

3. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Ooh, that's quite exciting. I love a good mystery.

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Not a live bearer so it must be an egg layer fry. Depending on what else was in the tank the plants came in, I'd guess it came from there. Honey gourami isn't a bad guess really, but if there's any tetras or danios it could be one of them too.

I think your little fry will grow pretty well with lots of plants. They will feed off of the micro organisms among the plants and when they are a bit bigger I'd start adding some micro worms and baby brine shrimp a couple times a day. I'm sure the snails will take care of any left overs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice