Mystery Fry In Empty Tank

notMidas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,

This mystery fry appeared in my planted but otherwise empty 170l new tank. The last plant was added from the lfs 10 days ago.

Any ideas who he is? He has an iridescent streak, reddish belly and tail and is about 1cm long.

douglas.png

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Wow, that's crazy. It looks like a neon tetra fry; he seems to be developing that bright blue streak and the slight striping and red belly are also consistent with the neon tetra fry as well.(neon tetra fry - Google Search: ). I google searched one for you to look at as I don't have a fry of my own. The one on the pic is a bit younger, but it does check out.

The only thing I could think of is that he must have been hiding in the plants (as they do hide a lot) and been caught and given to you by accident. I've had this happen a few times, with guppy fry and bushy plants (usually took them back).

Another theory, and this is a stretch tbh, is because of his size, the tetra parents could have bred and scattered an egg on the plant that either hatched in your tank or was attatched to the plant as a non-free-swimming fry. The tricky part is that it's hard to breed tetras unless you actively trying to (which I don't think your LFS was) and for him to survive throughout the move and transferring tanks and everything. Either he's one tough guy or the previous theory applies.

Anyhow, that's pretty cool. Maybe check back to the LFS and check the tank where the plants where or any tanks the plants could have been previously; look for neon tetras. If so, maybe he did get caught up in the plant or he had been recently spawned . If there are no neon tetras, then I have no idea and that is one miracle baby

Hope this helps and best of luck!

notMidas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great thanks!

The possibilities from the lfs are endler's liverbearer, some other live-bearer, some sort of tetra, dwarf white cloud or white cloud. They haven't had any other similar fry show up in their tanks though.

He is very neon, so my bets are on neon tetra too.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe he is a tetra. Clouds don't develop the blue streak and guppy/endler fry are a bit differently shaped and colored as well. As an after thought, he could also be a cardinal tetra fry as well (they look similar to neons, but are bigger and less "clear" plus their red line extends across the entire body). At this stage, it could be either, because he's so young. Would have to wait till he's juvenile to adult. . Are you going to keep him? Cuz I would love to know what he grows into

notMidas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yes, he is staying. We were planning a school of wild green neon tetra for that tank, so he'll have some friends before too long

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, newly hatched White Cloud fry have a neon blue line, as do Zebra Danio fry. They lose it as they mature. I seriously doubt the possibility of it being a Neon or Cardinal. Cardinal would be virtually impossible, they do not breed accidentally. The body shape is either deformed, or livebearer. I just noticed that it appears to have a round tail - livebearer, almost for certain from the list of possibilities. Neon Tetras and White Cloud Minnows have forked tails, so those are out.

Keep an eye on it and see how it develops.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a WCMM fry to me

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looks like a guppy its definitely got that live bearer face to me any way
51dd007217017454099dceabf79d45b0.jpg
there is a pic of my mates young guppy

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol, I don't think we're going to be able to figure out what this guy is for sure until he's older. This is going to be very fun to watch

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I doubt it is a neon tetra, they are not easy to breed, far from it. It must have hitchiked with your plants. Only time will tell what he is.
If it actually turns out to be a neon tetra the planets must have aligned or something lol.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lets have bets il put my tanks on it being a guppy lol

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol, I too think it kind of looks like a guppy, a female one.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I doesn't look like live bearer to me, the fin placement, body shape, and fin shape seem wrong to me. It seems tetra(ish), but it very well could be any of the others. Looking forward to seeing what he is when he gets older.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
notMidas you must update this thread once he's grown and it's obvious what he is!

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Now that I see it closely I must agree the dorsal fin does not look guppish to me. God knows what it is lol.

notMidas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I will keep you up to date! If he is a white cloud, the stars have certainly aligned - I lost my oldest white cloud in my other tank at about the same time that he emerged.

notMidas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A week later - here he is!

Looks to be either a normal WCMM or a dwarf WCMM (Vietnamese Cardinal Minnow).

The fish shop he came from had them both in stock, so he could be either.

P.S. He now has friendly albino corys to keep him company

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a great freebie fish!
But is it really that blue? Did you show it to the store?

notMidas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cognac82 said:
That's a great freebie fish!
But is it really that blue? Did you show it to the store?
He's not quite that blue under normal lights - I have a LED plant strip on. Also, he is a little less iridescent than he was last week.

The store doesn't know -

notMidas said:
The possibilities from the lfs are endler's liverbearer, some other live-bearer, some sort of tetra, dwarf white cloud or white cloud. They haven't had any other similar fry show up in their tanks though.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's so weird and pretty cool, too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom