Help Mystery Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got this little guy while purchasing a sack of 10 zebra danios starting out. To our surprise there were 9 danios and this little guy hidden in the bag.

I have seen flying fox that have this color/pattern but he has shorter fins and does not swim nose upward as they do(or so i have seen in the LFS)

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you mean the oto cat hes definitely not a cat. He usually sits mid tank and just hangs almost completely still unless I'm feeding in which case he waits his turn. He hides a lot but is for sure not a bottom feeder or algae eater and loves flake and blood worms.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos aren't bottom feeders. I've never seen mine go after flakes though.
Can you gte a better picture of the fins?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
A better picture would help It doesn't have a sucker mouth so it's not an Oto.
Anyother color on it besides the stripe? Shape of fins?
carol

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Carol, now I see the mouth is more on the front. He's got a cute little rounded face too.

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been trying for half an hour to get a better pic of this guy and unfortunately my kodak pos isn't gonna do it unless I net him and get him against the front of the tank

As far as fins he has almost the exact same fins as a zebra danio but very transparent. Also near the bottom looks like more horizontal black striping but not as thick as the center stripe.

I will keep trying for another pic....I gotta sneak up on him lol.

Last edited:
OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shameless bump....asked the kid at Petco this afternoon who seems to be almost TOO smart to be working there...lol but he mentioned a pencil tetra which is very close but I don't think so.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Without a clear shot of the fins I can't be certain but here are a few fish that pop into my mind when I see this pic: Black-Line Rasbora (Rasbora Taeniata), Long-Band Rasbora (Rasbora Einthovenii), Barbus Viviparus (sorry don't know common name), Iguanodectes Spilurus (latin agian ) or a poorly coloured Loreto Tetra (Hyphessobrycon Loretoensis).

That's just what comes to mind when I look at the general shape, mouth & the stripe. I'm probalby completely wrong but look up some pics & see if any of those are close to what you have.

AlexW

Reaction score
Looks like a female or juvinile male Lucania goodei (AKA bluefin killifish)...
it's a very colorful and cool native fish that tends to show up in various shipments of fish from time to time.

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is absolutely no color to him other than the gold and black striping. I was told a pencil also but he has no red markings and looks a bit off from those. I looked at the bluefin killifish and again it looks ALMOST the exact same but without the redish colors.

Do you think maybe he could be a hybrid and lost some color?

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OMG!! Alex I think you are a winner!! You say you found that under female bluefin killifish? Haha! Awesome....good job!

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
heh don't get me wrong...i'd love to get another tank for the guy,but this isn't an option right now. Unless he is a brilliantly durable fish, he has been doing great in the community tank at 78-80 degrees for the past 2 months(he was in the first batch of fish to hit the water and is going very strong)

Also I read that these fish are mainly from the Florida/Georgia/Alabama region....80 degrees too hot? I would think its right up his alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom