Mystery Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FEARADDAY, Jul 19, 2017.

1. FEARADDAY

FEARADDAYValued MemberMember

hello, i was at my moms house the other day and she claims there was a 'shark' in one of the ponds behind her house. i called but the next morning my sister told me to come outside to look at this shark.i kid you not there was a big black fish with a big tailfin swimming at the surface! its tail was straight up like a sharks and its dorsal fin was laying down. what is this?? i will try to post pictures,

thats it

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  2. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

A common pleco?

3. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Are there any rivers near you or connecting to the pond because Bull Sharks are the only Shark in the US that can live in a Freshwater Pond.

4. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

the other

no it was 2-3 feet long

it was just floating on the surfase moving slowly for a few muinits then it went underwater for a few then came back up

Attached Files:

5. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Is it Fresh or Saltwater?

6. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

fresh

7. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

the neibor said it was a cod

8. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Depending on the weather, like if the water is fairly cool, some species of fish will go to the surface and sun themselves. I've seen many a freshwater fish do the same with their dorsal and tail fins sticking out of the water. Of course this is usually in the spring, after the ice thaws.

Then there's the possibility of an ill fish having issues. There's probably a number of species in your area that reach that size. If memory serves, cod is a saltwater fish. Your best bet is a carp or catfish of some sort.

9. oOturquoiseOo

oOturquoiseOoWell Known MemberMember

Cod is definitely a saltwater fish.

10. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

could it be a hi fin banded pond shark?

11. Shardicle

ShardicleValued MemberMember

It could be

12. Gilly

GillyValued MemberMember

My unedgumacated guess would be a karp or a catfish. Lots of bullhead cats make it to ponds from birds who pick the babies out of shallow pools and riverbeds. Karp are absolutely everywhere and quite often will be 2-3 feet, if not longer, and can be dark brown/black. Typically you find karp in rivers, not ponds, but again, being an abundant fish, they often travel by air

13. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

it was narrow and had bumps

14. Gilly

GillyValued MemberMember

that does sound a bit catfish-y to me. They usually are smooth skinned, and scales would have been obvious if it were another fish (unless that's what you meant by bumps). Obviously the closer the picture the better. But it would explain why it was a shock to see it. Catfish are steady bottom feeders, and usually hover over the muck and sift through it. If one was sick, it could cause it to surface. But I have experience here in upstate NY, and don't know what native freshwater species are further south.

15. LandosWell Known MemberMember

I got this, guys. That's a loch Ness monster. You'll need a least a 30 million gallon tank

16. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I still think it's a carp. It wouldn't be strange at all, carp are everywhere. In my area there's carp in lakes that often raise to the surface to eat floating plants/algae. They "roll" at the surface all the time while fishing, the darn things have gotta be a good 20 pounds.

Also, if you have any other large body of water pretty close to the pond, a flood might of connected both bodies of water allowing fish to move from one to another. Or if someone caught fish and released them into the pond... lots of possibilities. You should cast a line and see what you can catch (if you are a fishing person).

17. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

i belive you that makes sense. i will tell mom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice