Mystery fish wants to be identified

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Nadamo1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. N

Nadamo1 New Member Member

I have recently inherited this little guy and have no clue what it is. It is a metallic blue with tiny red dots, and yellow tipped fins. It has a very small flat tail. The spine is also slightly curved although this may be a birth defect. It is a fresh water fish and pretty active. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Nathan

Sent from my D6708 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Looks like a killifish, have no clue as to witch one. There is a killifish expert on fishlore hopefully he/she will chime in.

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

EricV knows about killifish. That's what it looks like to me as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

It does look like a killifish. I think it's a Rivulus Magdalenae

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

It is a killie. I'm no expert but it looks more like Aphyosemion to me.

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

It's definitely a killifish of some type but I'm having a hard time identifying it as it doesn't seem to be in very good condition. The eyes are pretty large in comparison to the rest of the body which would indicate stunting.

Due to the coloration of the fins and the red line under the lower lip I'm inclined to think it might just be an unhealthy f. gardneri.

7. hampalong

Big eyes don't necessarily mean stunting. They grow at a fairly constant rate, so they just mean the fish has grown relatively slowly. The extreme is stunting.

:)

8. EricV

It looks pretty extreme to me as it is.

If that is in fact a gardneri like I suspect it's almost definitely stunted with eyes that large relative to the rest of the body especially since it already seems to have full adult coloration.

I breed them and I assure you a properly developed gardneri will never have that eye to body size ratio.

Oversized eyes is clear indicator of stunting for exactly the reason you stated. The eyes continue to grow but the rest of the body doesn't keep up because it's growth has been stunted.

9. hampalong

Fair enough. I just felt the need to clarify that even a fish grown slowly but not severely slowly, will have bigger eyes. Fish in the wild for example generally grow more slowly than they do with us feeding them every day. Nothing wrong with them, but their eyes will be larger relative to their body.

In this instance, I defer to your experience.

:)

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianum of unknown population. The arched spine is indicative of poor nutrition, as is the extremely thin body and the oversize looking eyes. It may well be an old fish, as they often waste away in this manner.

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore Nadamo1, hope you enjoy the forum :)

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with chromedome52 and EricV.

13. OP
    OP
    N

Nadamo1 New Member Member

Thank you all so much for the help! Now I can take care of this little lady properly. She came from a very neglected 75gal tank which I removed from the owner and nursed the tank back to health! Should I get other females for her to hang out with? I read the males can be quite aggressive.

Sent from my D6708 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. EricV

That is a male lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice