Mystery Fish - Couldn't find it in Axelrod's Big Book

Phil1078

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here is a bottom dwelling fish at my lps. It seems to have algae-eater or goby-like fins (the kind where they can sort of perch on something). The person said that they sometimes come in with the ghost shrimp (feeder quality). The worker said that they are pretty aggressive, once they attain a decent size. The one I took a picture of was about 1-1.5". Tell me what you think.

Picture 1
2.jpg

Picture 2
1.jpg

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks like some type of loach, looks similar to the gara loach I had a while back.

It could be a Homaloptera bilineata, or Somileptes gongata, its really to small to say. Or...it could be a Chinese algae eater sense you said they are aggressive when they get bigger...because Chinese algae eaters are evil when they get big most of the time unless they have a lot of room....Lol I think I confused more then I helped.

Last edited:

Phil1078

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't think it is a chinese algae eater. They have some there, and it looks rather different. Like I said, it is somewhat goby-like.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
*shrug* I've never really seen a goby with that kind of mouth, which is why it made me think loach.

Phil1078

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yea, I just looked up the loach pictures. It is completely different. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your welcome, I cant really see it that well with it sitting on gravel that are nearly the same color as the fish, maybe a new picture might shed some light on it? Best of Luck.

Phil1078

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yea, if no one figures it out, next time I go I will try for better pictures. i Phone isnt the best

Phil1078

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm, the picture really isn't helping you guys. I will try to describe more of what I remember. There was so moving dorsal fin like a goby, nor did it have a goby head. I was really just indicating that the pectoral fins enabled it to kind of perch on the substrate.

I looked at the australian goby, and I do not think it looks like it. The head is much smaller.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I could be way off here but I reckon that's a Central Mudminnow (Umbra Limi). If it is, it will be making regular trips to the surface to gulp air. If it's not doing that then it's not the Mudminnow.

If it's not that then I would look at either Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma Caeruleum) or a juvenille Bullhead (Cotto Gobio). I guess it's possible that it's some form of Stickleback but I think that's unlikely.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It looks a little like a thing we have here in PA called a mudpuppy. Not sure exactly what it is but it looks similar. Anyways I doubt one would come in with shrimp though LOL just looks similar to what you saw.....our mudpuppies are all brown though and only freshwater stream and creek dwellers.

supernaut06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think Nutter hit it on the head with the darter ID. They're widespread throughout the U.S. so it wouldn't be hard to believe that they make it in to ghost shrimp shipments.

catman3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
could be a type of darter that hangs around the shrimp wich might entail that it also cleans the tank and other fish like the shrimp do. has anyone ever heared of the atlantic goby? it hangs with blind shrimp an gaurds their back while it digs them a home so it might have a similar relationship with the shrimp throw some in an find out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom