Mystery Eggs

cjwalker28

Reaction score
I was looking at my tank today and I realized there were eggs on a leaf on a plant. The problem is I dont know who's they are. I want to find out quick because my swordtail is eating the eggs and I want to prevent it.

5 Zebrafish
Male and female swordtail
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Pleco
1 Dojo Loach
2 Redtail sharks
2 Florida Flagfish
1 Silverdollar
2 Snails

I don't know whos male and female, and most of the fish are new, so maybe they got pregnant at the store.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are they surrounded with a clear kind of jelly?  If so then it is more than likely snails.  Also if the snails you have a pond snails you will have hundreds of them before long.  I just had to kill two tanks of them last week and it is a mess.  It nearly killed my plants and I had to move my fish to a quarantine tank wihile I did it.  I would not keep 2 snails in the same tank. It also makes a difference what kind of snails you have. If you have snails you bought just seperate the adults and get rid of the eggs other wise i would get rid of the adults if you cannot seperate them. Someone may take them or a local pet store.

Wipe the leaves off or pull off the leaves and discard them or you will have the most snails you can imagine.  Unless you want them for fish food.

Rose

cjwalker28

Reaction score
It is in a clear jelly. This kinda sucks. I was hoping to have fish. I suppose Ill give them to my friend, or whats left of them. My swordtails like the taste.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One snail is fine, they keep the algae problem is check, but make sure it is the right kind and that they do not reproduce without a mate. They can overrun a tank if they have mates or if they can reproduce on their own.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom