Mystery Eggs On Filter?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look like pest snail eggs to me too but if so it is strange that no adults have been seen. One usually sees adults before the abundance of eggs show up.

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I raise ramshorn snails (the Dr. Doolittle style pink ones). I am always looking around my tank for what you're showing -- these are definitely ramshorn eggs. If you scrape them off, they won't hatch. I don't consider these pests. They are fantastic for planted tanks, if you do have pink or blue ones, they're especially gorgeous. If they get big and you don't like them, pull them out. IME they don't blow up in population like pond, bladder, or MTS, and keep in mind I'm someone ENCOURAGING them to populate. You can just get rid of them fairly quickly with mechanical (finger) removal. If you ask a little kid to draw a snail, what they draw is a ramshorn. You can't beat a classic.

A little one probably came in on a plant, and laid the eggs. You probably have quite a few that came in, they can breed when they are TINY, and you've got a "nursery" full of egg baskets there.

Last edited:

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say ramshorn as well. I have all the snails (not really just bladder, ramshorn, MTS and a mystery snail-I like snails), and those look like ramshorn. Bladder snails also lay their eggs in a gel-like blob but this is often in a crescent shape.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom