Mystery Eggs On Filter?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MargaretMurphy55, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MargaretMurphy55

MargaretMurphy55New MemberMember

Hi all~
    1524504007746249868480.jpg
    Doing a deep cleaning on my 10G and I come across all these eggs???? on my filter. I have 3 Corys, 1 tetra, and 2 male guppies. There's one golden snail too. Are these Cory eggs or just some weird algae?

Thanks!

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

They are either snail eggs or cory eggs

3. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Those look like some kind of pond/pest snail eggs. Corydoras eggs are white and not in clumps like that.

4. OneLittleBubble

5. FriarThomasIII

Those aren't mystery snail eggs. They need a male and female, and also have these weird orange eggs sacs that are about an inch and a half long and are above the waterline, as the eggs can drown

6. OneLittleBubble

hmmm thats weird because most snail eggs look like that and she only has mystery snails

7. FriarThomasIII

Usually there are bladder snails, ramshorn snails somewhere in the tank, especially when there are plants.

8. OneLittleBubble

So basically she got some pest snails in the tank somewhere

9. FriarThomasIII

@margeratmurphy55 could you show us your full tank, and if you see any snails? pond snails can also breed without a mate too.

yup

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  10. OneLittleBubble

Just wondering are those pest snails bad or are they just normal snails

11. FriarThomasIII

Pest snails are an okay thing, they just breed and populate a tank when there is an abundance of algae and food. If you control the food, they will keep algae under control.

12. OP
    OP
    MargaretMurphy55

Here is the tank. Don't judge. It's been a busy month. Maintenance dat today so the filter is missing and algae galore.
    It is quite possible that I might have gotten some hitchhikers. Haven't seen any other snails but my own though.. 1524505565688161273208.jpg

13. FriarThomasIII

What kind of tetra is that? And most tetra need to be in schools of about 5 to be happy and sound. And i'm guessing it's pond/ramshorn snails.

14. 123

123Valued MemberMember

Seems like Diamond Tetra to me ... I just bought the same ones today. And you are right they need 5 or more :)

15. OP
    OP
    MargaretMurphy55

I'm really not sure. Unfortunately it was a fish I got when I just got back into the hobby and was a bit overzealous. I'm thinking I will donate it to my lfs because I don't have the adequate space to provide a school. :(

Yes you are so right! On both of those things. Thanks for the ID. Gonna surrender it to my lfs so it can go to someone who can provide a school

16. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Well, I hope it's not what I am experiencing but the slimy part looks like the midge fly eggs that laid in my tank. If you start seeing bloodworms you'll know what you have. Especially with your tank being open. Have you noticed any small insects flying around your tank? They are attracted to light.

17. 123

123Valued MemberMember

They are beautiful fish! But they look their best in school and they also probably feel more safe if their school. So good on you trying to provide better home for it :)

18. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

Don't look like cory eggs!

19. NLindsey921

NLindsey921Well Known MemberMember

I have a million and one pest snails in my tank. Those are pest snail eggs. Remove them all or your tank will be overrun.

20. OP
    OP
    MargaretMurphy55

I have a glass cover on it, but a little bit of the back is exposed, so it very well could be. I hope not! That gives me the creeps just thinking about it...

And no insects in sight... hopefully I'm in the clear lol