Mystery Crayfish Question 

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I picked up this Crayfish for free and don’t know what he is. I just want to ID him so that I can make sure he gets to a proper home, whether it is with me or not.
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG

I don’t know if it is some sort of dwarf crayfish or a baby normal size crayfish

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2638.JPG

2F0AFF55-4771-45A6-B50E-F9E32E7B8366.jpeg

Here are some updated pictures, he’s gotten a bit more orange.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where did u get him from? Fish store? Friend? Or did u catch him yourself? What state are u in? You may be able to google the native crayfish species in your area... just a thought

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got him for free from Petco and am currently in PA. He care in with a shipment of ghost shrimp. The pinchers are too small proportionally for him to be a rusty crayfish. I’ve looked up twelve different native and he doesn’t seem to match any at the moment.

kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry I’m not to good at ID’ing things hopefully someone will chime in n help out ... ide look into basic care for them and that should help out some as far as feeding water temp flow parameters n tank size

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thequietman44 said:
I rescued a couple crayfish from a Petco in PA and they looked exactly like that when they were small. They're both much larger now and I believe they are just the wild type native crayfish. They seem to have reached max size around 5" or so.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/crayfish-id-help.396593/

In your post ypu said you got them from a lfs... Meaning not a corporate petco, since a petco likely wouldn't get a native PA cray in unless someone did an adoption (even that they're not supposed to do, but they do it anyway)

I know some petcos offer dwarfs in their online stores...
Since petco is a corportation and it came in with their shipment of ghost shrimp, it's likely something that they sell in their tanks rather than some wild caught native cray to your area.
But I've been wrong before /shrug
To me this either looks like a wild type dwarf or a very young marbled crayfish, only time will tell as it starts to get larger, if it does at all

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazycoryfishlady said:
In your post ypu said you got them from a lfs... Meaning not a corporate petco
Unfortunately Petco is my LFS, unless that acronym denotes a non-chain store in which case I do not have a LFS, just a local Petco. They didn't say whether they came in a shipment or were dontated, just that they didn't have a place to keep them and were trying to get rid of them for free to anyone who would take them.

It seems like most of the northeastern US wild types look pretty similar, but as you said young crayfish are difficult to identify.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thequietman44 said:
Unfortunately Petco is my LFS, unless that acronym denotes a non-chain store in which case I do not have a LFS, just a local Petco. They didn't say whether they came in a shipment or were dontated, just that they didn't have a place to keep them and were trying to get rid of them for free to anyone who would take them.

It seems like most of the northeastern US wild types look pretty similar, but as you said young crayfish are difficult to identify.
Guess it depends how you're defining the word local!
Local can mean local to your area like how your petco is near you... But I think for the most part people usually use local fish store or local fish sales to mean a local business, someone who doesn't have a big chain in every city... Lol!
Eastern wild crays sure do look different from western... Heh

I say marbled or dwarf because of those dark dark almost black triangles at the base of the tail... Looks like the cajun type dwarf almost, or a speck on a marble since they have that colorful patterned tail like your native cray does.

Wish I could get some free crays I didn't have to struggle to catch... !

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for your input everyone! I’ll update this with pictures as the crayfish grows.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thequietman44 said:

Unrelated to OP's question, but a LFS is a local fish store, or a store that specializes in fish, while a LPS is a local pet store, or a store that sells many different pets but doesn't specialize in any and tend to be chain stores

bettaboy92

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That apears to be a marbled crayfish (self cloning crayfish) a very entertaining and easy to care for spieces

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_2748.JPG

The crayfish has rapidly increased in size faster than a dwarf would, so it is definitely a marbled. Do you guys have any recommendations for his care, such as tank size? He’s being kept in a breeder box with a lid in a tank at 72F right now.

I also put some water spangles in his box the other day and noticed him munching on some.

bettaboy92

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are the fish that are in the tank if they are a larger more robust species (ie. Cichlids) he should be fine but they can be semi-predatory and hunt and eat small fish they need a 10 gallon or bigger tank with good filtration water that's 70-80 and are escape artists so they definitely need a lid

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bettaboy92 said:
What are the fish that are in the tank if they are a larger more robust species (ie. Cichlids) he should be fine but they can be semi-predatory and hunt and eat small fish they need a 10 gallon or bigger tank with good filtration water that's 70-80 and are escape artists so they definitely need a lid
He is in a 7 gallon shrimp tank at the moment - definitely something that he can’t stay in long term. It’s my only tank with water towards the middle of the temp range. I may be able to put him with my king betta temporarily. That fish in particular isn’t very aggressive and there is a thick patch of plants that the crayfish could hide in.

If I keep him (which might be nice for my senior research project), he would likely be getting his own tank.

bettaboy92

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He would eat the plant for sure your best bet would be to keep him in the breeding net for now until you can get him his own setup

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crayfish are mostly scavengers and carnivores, they will attack and kill shrimp when they realize how tasty they are.
My CPOs ate over 120 dollars worth of cherries, and they were very friendly with ghosts.
I would be more concerned of it trying to attack the betta than the betta attacking it.
Crayfish really do love to crawl around on plants in my experience.
I've got a few breeding pairs and they love the occasional zucchini, but not my bacopa.
They don't even like hair algae much.
Yours would do well with some larger frozen foods or pellets.

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve been feeding a variety of frozen foods and sinking invert pellets.

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_2914.JPG

New Update!

Crayfish is now a little over an inch in length and has been eating well. I should be able to get it its own tank within a week. For now, I increased security on the breeder box lid by putting two heavy cubes on top that fill the gap between the box and the lid. I have Asian stone catfish with the shrimp in that tank and it would be a massacre if he got loose.

It loves to hide in the leaves, I might get a more substantial small pipe hide in there though now that he is larger.

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_3521.JPG

New update!

The crayfish has continued to grow very well and is about 1.5” or 2” in length. He got updated to a 40 gallon tank today, I’ll post some pictures of that once my light comes in on Wednesday. It’s a river biotope look and I’m going to add in some more tubes of various sizes.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads