Mystery Cichlid From The Petco Adoption Tank

1. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I got this juvenile cichlid and I can't tell what type it is. It was in the tank with both a krib and convicts.

It didn't have the right shape for a convict and the color is off for the krib. Which I think is because it's still young? I googled and didn't find anything useful.

It does have orange on its dorsal fin. So I think that it will have an orange coloring as it gets older.

8a5af04d7b45bfde86ed7837a69c95a9.jpg 4328d2f28d4e19390b818867644a3858.jpg 3af2c2cf5edb4581896fc31534c4abdd.jpg

2. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Looks badly stunted, based on the huge eyes in proportion to its body. As for species, no idea.

3. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

It almost looks like a young Herotilapia multispinosa .

4. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Will it be okay? I have it it a 20g quarantine for now.

5. _S_ Initiate Member

It might be a cross bred cichlid or a young Gold Ocellatus Cichlid (Lamprologus ocellatus) I know you mentioned that the colour is off for it to be a krib but it seems like a young Albino Kribensis Cichlid (Pelvicachromis pulcher) as well

6. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Here's the adult krib. I bought him, too. He didn't travel well. We had an hour ride home.

8e753ac5b9a8b59ac5160354b8e1cbef.jpg

7. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

If it's the H. multispinosa I'd do a 30 for them in my opinion.

Now that I'm looking at him more he may actually be an albino krib. I've never seen a krib with orange fins though.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like some type of African cichlid to me, I'd guess a hap, but I'd wait for it to color up and grow a bit more. Definitely not a krib or rainbow cichlid (H. multispinosa) IMO, the shape is wrong.

9. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Peacock cichlid? I was googling again.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that was the type of Rift Lake I was thinking it was close to some type of hap/peacock.

11. ChrisX Well Known Member Member

Just care for him and see him grow out.

12. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

I was thinking that same thing but if he doesn't know what it is it's going to be hard to care for it.

13. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

True. Different tankmates, temperature, ect. Just because I got both fish from the same tank doesn't mean they can stay together. Knowing what type of cichlid will help me keep the fish healthy.

14. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

While it is in bad shape, I'd say it is a hybrid Hap/Peacock. It has markings of both groups. Such hybrids are not uncommon in chain stores with "mixed Cichlid" tanks.

15. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

It's from the adoption tank. It's eating and happily exploring the 20g quarantine. Idk what else to do for it? It seems to prefer flakes over pellets.

16. ChrisX Well Known Member Member

Those are pretty hardy fish. Start giving it some frozen food and it will probably recover.

17. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Here's more pics of it after settling into the tank. It may be hiding, but it's just camera shy. It likes to swim around the tank. aa129b8c673cabde602bcbd6dd061c24.jpg 68dc56c6097d421a2307fdd49bad54ed.jpg