Mystery bump on all of my betta girls!

1. A

Addie New Member Member

Hey! I'm new on the site, didn't expect to ever need an account but desperate times call for desperate measures. I've been dealing with this problem for about a month now, and I can find absolutely NO HELP anywhere. All LFS's have been giving me different answers, and I've never seen anything like it. Let's see if Fishlore has a solution.

So, for starters, I have a 30 gal sorority tank, 5 female bettas at the moment (Aphrodite, Hera, Nerid, Nyx, and Andromeda), along with various bottom feeders. Planted tank. Cycled. No outstanding issues. Been up for over a year now.

About 6 months ago, one of my girls, Nerid, developed a mouth fungus and a strange lump on her 'chin', right were the gills meet, so I quarantined her and treated it, no problem. The lump shrunk, but never went away, but it didn't seem to bother her whatsoever, so I just left it alone. Fast forward to about a month ago, and 3 of my 5 girls now have this mystery bump! One of them, Andromeda, is completely unaffected, and the other, Aphrodite, has just been kind of a trainwreck for a while so I decided to have her tag along with the treatment. None of my other fish are affected whatsoever, only the bettas. I have the 4 of them in a 10 gal quarantine and have been trying everything to get rid of it - plain aquarium salt, herbal oil remedies, erythromycin... none of it seems to be making it shrink. The bump on one of them, Nyx, had opened up and then immediately shrunk and now she only has a small raised area, and I'm unsure if the medicine did it or if the bump had just ran it's course. So here's a summary:

Andromeda (not pictured) - perfectly fine, remain in 30 gal
    Aphrodite (not pictured) - treating for overall bacterial diseases (fin stuff, etc)
    Nerid (reddish purple) - first one to show bump, possibly the starting point
    Hera (white) - Has growing bump, is strangely bloated, has never been ill before
    Nyx (blue and orange)- had bump, grew, opened, and has now shrunk
    0704161159d.jpg 0704161158.jpg 0704161202a.jpg 0704161204.jpg 0704161208.jpg 0704161209a.jpg

All girls still have a healthy appetite, are not lethargic whatsoever, and have no other symptoms (besides Hera, who is abnormally bloated). I'm stumped. Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I have never seen anything like that! Have any new fish or anything else been added to the tank recently?

What are your water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    A

Addie New Member Member

No new fish while they were in there, after they were quarantined I did a 75% water change and added some Cory cats that I picked up for a good deal :) they've all been doing great. As for the parameters, I'll have to get a reading once I'm off work, but last time I checked everything's normal - I think the water was somewhat hard, but that's all I noticed...

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have any male bettas nearby?

5. OP
    OP
    A

Addie New Member Member

Nope! Not at all, was thinking of breeding eventually but haven't actually gotten a male yet.

6. OP
    OP
    A

Addie New Member Member

Update: Hera's bloat turned to dropsy. Awesome. And looks like the thread is over also awesome. So much for my betta sorority.

7. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

So sorry about your bettas. :(

8. TexasDomer

Could be bacterial? Is erythromycin the only antibiotic you've tried? I might try Kanaplex too.

9. OP
    OP
    A

Addie New Member Member

Thanks, hopefully they pull through :/

10. OP
    OP
    A

Addie New Member Member

Thanks for the heads up! I've tried erythromycin and some herbal bacterial remedies, i'll look into kanaplex though. I'm even doubting that its bacterial at this point because nothings working and the only symptom is this dumb bump.

11. TexasDomer

You may not have tried the right med yet. Herbal remedies are mostly useless, and erythromycin mostly treats gram positive bacteria. If it's gram negative, it won't work. Kanamycin treats gram negative bacteria.

Check this out:
    http:///AquariumMedication2.html

EDIT: It changes the link to the above broken link whenever I paste it, but try this:
    http://www.
    americanaquariumproducts.
    com/AquariumMedication2.html

12. OP
    OP
    A

Addie New Member Member

Ohhhh okay gotcha, I was unaware of gram neg/pos bacterias, I'll do some research on that. For some reason I can't open the site, but thanks so much for the info