Question Mystery Alien Mermaid Creature-please Help Id

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright,

So, I went to Petco yesterday and took advantage of their dollar per gallon sale and picked up 5- 20 gallons for my Guppy/Plant project I am working on. While I was there they had a really nice big tank with tons of plants in it. Floating, potted, bunched, you name it. So of course I fell for it because they were cheap. Lol. I grabbed a few bunched plants, a potted Sword, and a potted Anubias. Today I was cleaning out some plant matter from newly planted and totally melting Jungle Vals :emoji_frowning2:, and found this very unique little thing swimming around in my tank hanging out on the plants. In the pictures you can see it next to duckweed for size reference. It has 3 spiky things for a tail and little legs like a shrimp. I've never seen anything like it before, and I know it wasn't in there before I brought the plants home, so I'm hoping someone can help me identify it.

I personally think it looks like an alien mermaid creature, but my husband and sons say a mermaid shouldn't look like that. Fingers crossed on my mermaid theory, but they are probably right... Lol. So I'm turning to the professionals to find out what it is. Any input is greatly appreciated! I have it in a cup right now separated, just in case it's a problem creature. But everyone in my house is terrified of it and believes it to be a true African man eating water creature that will be nothing but trouble. (All boys, go figure)Thanks in advance. :emoji_relaxed:
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Damselfly nymph. Don't put it back in the tank. Get rid of the lil guy.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a damsel fly larvae. Depending on the type of fish you have it will get eaten by them or it will eat them. They're pretty cool to watch grow and turn into a damsel fly but can be aggressive towards fish.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well darn. I was hoping they would be nice, cute and fluffy little creatures. I found it in my shrimp tank, and after looking up Damselfly Nymphs apparently it's a very good thing I took it out. It looks so neat, that's a shame. Luckily I found it pretty quickly, but now I need to keep an eye on the tank and make sure no other little guys hitchhiked on those Petco plants. Thanks for the fast responses. I really appreciate it. Do you think it would be safe to keep in a breeder box with a few Ramshorns? Or do you think it would eat those too?

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you everyone. Not sure what I will do with it yet, but it is isolated for now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom