Question Mysterious Transparent Blob

Mrnicecream

Reaction score
So, about two weeks ago I set up a tank where I essentially scoop some water out of a pond near my house and poured it into an aquarium just to kind of see what happened. Most of the inhabitants are fairly standard fare for a pond: a few snails, some cyclopes, various small specks and water bugs, a couple worms. However, there is one organism that has me confused. Yesterday, I noticed a transparent blob on the side of the tank. I initially assumed it to be snail eggs, but I noticed today that it can crawl around, and quite quickly at that. The blob is a little under 1 cm in length and abut 2-3 mm wide. It is mostly just clear jelly, with two long structures being visible inside it, one orange, the other off white. Google searches have turned up nothing and I haven't any idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you get pics of the organism in question? It almost sounds like a limpet of some descript.

OP
M

Mrnicecream

Reaction score
I've since lost sight of it. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
If it helps - I have done the same as you, multiple times, and on one occasion I got something very similar to what you are describing. If you look closely, you can see the blob pulsating or vibrating. I have no idea what it is either (and it does move around) but at some point it disappeared. As far as I can tell it did not do any harm.

If you do figure it out I would love to hear what it was.

New Threads