Mysterious Transparent Blob Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Mrnicecream, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mrnicecream

MrnicecreamNew MemberMember

So, about two weeks ago I set up a tank where I essentially scoop some water out of a pond near my house and poured it into an aquarium just to kind of see what happened. Most of the inhabitants are fairly standard fare for a pond: a few snails, some cyclopes, various small specks and water bugs, a couple worms. However, there is one organism that has me confused. Yesterday, I noticed a transparent blob on the side of the tank. I initially assumed it to be snail eggs, but I noticed today that it can crawl around, and quite quickly at that. The blob is a little under 1 cm in length and abut 2-3 mm wide. It is mostly just clear jelly, with two long structures being visible inside it, one orange, the other off white. Google searches have turned up nothing and I haven't any idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Could you get pics of the organism in question? It almost sounds like a limpet of some descript.

3. OP
    OP
    Mrnicecream

MrnicecreamNew MemberMember

I've since lost sight of it. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

4. PascalKrypt

PascalKryptValued MemberMember

If it helps - I have done the same as you, multiple times, and on one occasion I got something very similar to what you are describing. If you look closely, you can see the blob pulsating or vibrating. I have no idea what it is either (and it does move around) but at some point it disappeared. As far as I can tell it did not do any harm.

If you do figure it out I would love to hear what it was.