Mysterious Spot on Dwarf Gourami Fin Won't Go Away w/ Pics

PrincessHydra

I got 3 female DG almost a month ago and one of them had a few zit like spots on her fins. I noticed one spot on the top fin when I brought them home and a second spot appeared on her bottom fin a few days later. They look just like a whitehead zit - perfectly round, raised bump. The spot on the top fin hasn't moved but sometimes changes size, getting a little bigger or smaller. The bottom spot disappeared a few days ago and hasn't returned.

She has stringy poop even though she has been treated with Kanaplex, General Cure and Ich-X. Currently treating her with Microbe-Lift Lice and Anchor Worm and medicated food with metro and prazi. The one spot that disappeared did so a few days after I added the Anchor Worm treatment.

I don't think she has Ich because no additional spots have appeared over the course of a month. I think one of the other gouramis had/has anchor worms (currently being treated in a separate tank) and I heard that they can develop "colonies" that look like this.

I haven't been able to find any information about it but did find a few pictures and a video that look similar, all expect one of which were also on female flame dwarf gouramis. I also chated with a women on Facebook who recently got a female DG that has the same type of spot on her fish's fin.

First 2 pics and the last pic with the blue circle are of my DG - the blue circle shows where the spot was previously and the fin is now discolored. The others are pics I found after extensive internet searches. One is a thick lipped gourami but the rest are female DG.

If anyone has any idea what this could be, I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220306_162935.jpg
    20220306_162935.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220306_105422.jpg
    20220306_105422.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1648134546614.jpg
    1648134546614.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1648148846364.jpg
    FB_IMG_1648148846364.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 9
  • FB_IMG_1648148943284.jpg
    FB_IMG_1648148943284.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220324_151555.jpg
    20220324_151555.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220324_153741.jpg
    20220324_153741.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 12

BigManAquatics

The pimple appearance makes me think a small cyst, which do tend to go away with clean water. What do you feed them?

PrincessHydra

The pimple appearance makes me think a small cyst, which do tend to go away with clean water. What do you feed them?
Oh, that would be great if it is something that isn't serious and will go away! I was initially alternating between Hikari Betta Bio pellets and Aqueon Pro pellets. I purchased Hikari freeze dried daphnia about a week and a half ago and give that to them a few times a week as well. For the past week I have been feeding them Everything Aquatic medicated fish flakes.

DoubleDutch

Might be a bacterial node due to a reaction of the immunesystem to the overuse of meds.

PrincessHydra

Might be a bacterial node due to a reaction of the immunesystem to the overuse of meds.
Thanks for your reply. So is it pretty common for breeders or retailers to dose the fish with a lot of meds? In my instance and in the few that I have found online, the fish came from the LPS with the cyst/node(s) and I did not give her any medication until after the second one appeared.

If this is what it is, what is the best way to handle it?

DoubleDutch

Thanks for your reply. So is it pretty common for breeders or retailers to dose the fish with a lot of meds? In my instance and in the few that I have found online, the fish came from the LPS with the cyst/node(s) and I did not give her any medication until after the second one appeared.

If this is what it is, what is the best way to handle it?
It is pretty common and definitely breeders do.

Okay, I thought you mentioned the Coop med trio in another thread (about the anchorworm). Personally I am not a fan of using any med if it is not clear what you're facing.

I'd provide clear water and a good variated diet and see what happens.
Sometimes fish simply show somekind of nodes. Dwarfs are often bred and grown out in a chemical mix, so when they hit our water they can show several if such "reactions".

Only treat when things worsen and are ID-ed.

PrincessHydra

It is pretty common and definitely breeders do.

Okay, I thought you mentioned the Coop med trio in another thread (about the anchorworm). Personally I am not a fan of using any med if it is not clear what you're facing.

I'd provide clear water and a good variated diet and see what happens.
Sometimes fish simply show somekind of nodes. Dwarfs are often bred and grown out in a chemical mix, so when they hit our water they can show several if such "reactions".

Only treat when things worsen and are ID-ed.
Yes, I could have worded my Anchor worm post a little more clearly. When I first got the 3 female DG, the one with suspected anchor worm had an eye injury and so the 2 that I thought were healthy (including the one with the spots) went in one tank and I set up a hospital tank just for the injured one.

I initially just added salt to the hospital tank but she developed a fungal infection on her injured eye after a few days and that is when I started the med trio with Kanaplex for the hospital tank. I truly believe this is the only reason she is still alive, because I did the med trio. I didn't realize it at the time but they all had signs of parasites when I got them (tiny black spots that are now gone) and the injured one developed Hemorrhagic Septicemia shortly after I got her.

Weeks ago I noticed that the injured DG's eyes look more red and that the area along the base of her dorsal fin had turned red but I only realized the other day what these symptoms ment and how serious it was. If I had only treated what I knew was wrong, the fungus, I absolutely won't have caught the sepsis in time. Thankfully she looks like she is getting better but I don't think she is out of the woods yet. Since the other 2 fish were exposed to the sick one, developed stringy poo and I wasn't sure what the spots were and if it was contagious, I decided to treat them with the med trio as well. They are now in 3 separate tanks and I am only going to medicate all of them for anchor worm and anything else just as needed.

With my inexperience knowing how to ID different diseases, how weak the DG breed has become combined with how hard it is to find female DG in my area, I would rather "pull out all of the stops" and medicate than wait and see. I wouldn't necessarily take this approach with other breeds but this is my third try with DG's after having 2 other ones die within 24 hours of showing symptoms and not being able treat them immediately. In one instance, I went to a reputable specialty fish shop with videos of my sick DG but they misidentified what was wrong. I was heartbroken when I lost the second one. That said, if I was to lose these ones, I won't get another DG and would instead look into a hardier species.

I really appreciate your reply and am going to do water changes today. I did purchase some other fish food as well. It is a relief to hear experienced fishkeepers such as yourself say the spots look benign and not indicators of an incurable, ultimately fatal infectious disease. Thanks again.

DoubleDutch

Yes, I could have worded my Anchor worm post a little more clearly. When I first got the 3 female DG, the one with suspected anchor worm had an eye injury and so the 2 that I thought were healthy (including the one with the spots) went in one tank and I set up a hospital tank just for the injured one.

I initially just added salt to the hospital tank but she developed a fungal infection on her injured eye after a few days and that is when I started the med trio with Kanaplex for the hospital tank. I truly believe this is the only reason she is still alive, because I did the med trio. I didn't realize it at the time but they all had signs of parasites when I got them (tiny black spots that are now gone) and the injured one developed Hemorrhagic Septicemia shortly after I got her.

Weeks ago I noticed that the injured DG's eyes look more red and that the area along the base of her dorsal fin had turned red but I only realized the other day what these symptoms ment and how serious it was. If I had only treated what I knew was wrong, the fungus, absolutely won't have caught the sepsis in time. Thankfully she looks like she is getting better but I don't think she is out of the woods yet. Since the other 2 fish were exposed to the sick one, developed stringy poo and I wasn't sure what the spots were and if it was contagious, I decided to treat them with the med trio as well. They are now in 3 separate tanks and I am only going to medicate all of them for anchor worm and anything else just as needed.

With my inexperience knowing how to ID different diseases, how weak the DG breed has become combined with how hard it is to find female DG in my area, I would rather "pull out all of the stops" and medicate than wait and see. I wouldn't necessarily take this approach with other breeds but this is my third try with DG's after having 2 other ones die within 24 hours of showing symptoms and not being able treat them immediately. In one instance, I went to a reputable specialty fish shop with videos of my sick DG but they misidentified what was wrong. That said, if I was to lose these ones, I wouldn't get another DG and would instead look into a hardier species.

I really appreciate your reply and am going to do water changes today. I did purchase some other fish food as well. It is a relief to hear experienced fishkeepers such as yourself say the spots are benign and not indicators of an incurable, ultimately fatal infectious disease. Thanks again.
No thanks and to be honest it could be the first signs of something bad or could be not.

The health of the general DG is so incredibly bad that there are all kinds of possible issues. It is a kind of gamble.

My point is that an excess of (general) meds definitely won't solve these issues.

So let's start creating a good stressless environment / diet and see what happens. If specific issues are more clear / surface we can try to solve those with more specific meds. In the worst case scenario we have to admit we can't solve the damage being done in the first stage of their live.

Fingers crossed and hoping yours will do great.

PrincessHydra

No thanks and to be honest it could be the first signs of something bad or could be not.

The health of the general DG is so incredibly bad that there are all kinds of possible issues. It is a kind of gamble.

My point is that an excess of (general) meds definitely won't solve these issues.

So let's start creating a good stressless environment / diet and see what happens. If specific issues are more clear / surface we can try to solve those with more specific meds. In the worst case scenario we have to admit we can't solve the damage being done in the first stage of their live.

Fingers crossed and hoping yours will do great.
Understood. While you were writing your reply I edited my post to "look benign" instead of "are benign" to indicate as such.

A healthy tank with healthy fish is my top priority.

In regards to the possible anchor worms, do you know if General Cure will kill them? The suspected anchor worm in the injured DH's gill lookd more flat then the two distinct lines I saw previously but I haven't added the specific anchor worm treatment to her tank. It has looked like that for a few days.The worm is so small I can't get a clear pic. Wondering if I will need to remove it manually. I am a little hesitant to attempt to remove it because I am not 100% sure that is what it is, I haven't done this before, it is in the gill and she is still recovering from sepsis.

Thanks!

DoubleDutch

An anchorworm would show 2 eggsacs at the end of its body and is quite visible.
Is it moving ?
Sounds more like a worm / nematode
To my knowledge General (oww man I dislike that name hahaha) Cure seems to treat those.

PrincessHydra

An anchorworm would show 2 eggsacs at the end of its body and is quite visible.
Is it moving ?
Sounds more like a worm / nematode
To my knowledge General (oww man I dislike that name hahaha) Cure seems to treat those.
Thanks for the info. I have great news to share, the spot on the top fin looks like it is going away! It is no longer round but more crescent shaped now. I am hopeful that it will be completely gone within a few days.

I think you are right and the other fish does not actually have anchor worms. I did a web search using the scientific name for Dwarf Gourami and found a few research articles that named common parasites that can be found in gouramis, most of which can be treated with General Cure. So I will continue to treat her with that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-151302_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-151302_Video Player.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220328_131542_capture(1).jpg
    20220328_131542_capture(1).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

Rgtx

I had a male dwarf gourami that had something similar on his dorsal fin. It went away on its on several weeks later.

PrincessHydra

I had a male dwarf gourami that had something similar on his dorsal fin. It went away on its on several weeks later.
Oh, that's great, thanks for sharing!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Abby565
Replies
Views
redorchestra
  • Question
Replies
Views
shaf