Mysterious Shrimp Fry Deaths

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by newbiefishkeeper, Apr 23, 2017.

1. newbiefishkeeperValued MemberMember

Hi all, I am currently keeping these shrimp fry in a cycled and filtered(covered the intake with spange) 1.5 gallon aquarium that has been set up for over 8 months. The aquarium has a bunch of java moss as well as hundreds of seed shrimp. There were about 27 fry to start with and they all did fine until day 9 when I saw my first few (3)deaths. Day 10 nothing happened. Then Day 11 or today I saw another two dead. Seeing this i quickly did all full test on my Ph, Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. All paremeters were normal , Ph always brown color so i can never actually tell what it really is(Local water suppliers as well as petco managers tell me it is 7.8 so i rely on that) ammonia/nitrite 0 and nitrate 10 ppm.
    So what is going on?

2. the guy

the guyValued MemberMember

maybe your water isn't hard enough? I know a majority of inverts need some calcium in the water in order to survive

3. OP
    OP
    n

newbiefishkeeperValued MemberMember

The water has a Kh and Gh of 9 so i know it is moderately hard water

4. the guy

the guyValued MemberMember

what kind of shrimp btw

5. OP
    OP
    n

cherry

6. OP
    OP
    n

I am not trying to be impatient but today I just saw some more deaths today and I really want to know what's going on. I don't want to lose any more fry. Any further input would be greatly appreaciated

7. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

What are you testing with?

8. OP
    OP
    n

9. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraeiValued MemberMember

In my shrimp tank I've had a decent amount of deaths but they've all been full grown. My fry seem to be thriving and today I notice what I'm pretty sure are ghost shrimp fry, in a very early stage. I don't do anything special with my shrimp tank but I do add algae wafers and veggies (like cucumber and zucchini) to add calcium. If your parameters are all in range and your hardness is adequate then I can't imagine why your fry are dying. Could some chemical or something possibly have made its way into your water?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice