Mysterious Ram death

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Jswin, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I found one of my GBR's mysteriously dead this morning. No signs of sickness or injury. All water parameters normal. And acted normal yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry about your loss :(

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Sorry about your loss. How long have you had the GBR? What are your water parameters?

4. OP
    OP
    Jswin

0,0,<5, and about 6-8 weeks

5. LiterallyHydro

Interesting. How about the temperature? Rams are a warm water species and would ideally have the temperature around 80-82, which is a bit more than most tropical fish would have.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Would the ram's life have been shortened by that much if the difference in temperature was the case?

7. OP
    OP
    Jswin

I keep my tank at 80

8. LiterallyHydro

I see. I have no idea why that may have happened other than an unhealthy fish. I'm sorry for your loss though :(

9. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your fish. He may have been weak when you bought him.

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Commercially raised fish from the far east are often very sensitive because they are raised in huge quantities in fairly tight quarters, and treated heavily with antibiotics to prevent a stray disease from destroying thousands of valuable fish. Unfortunately this leaves them with no resistance when they are shipped out, and they just can't handle the stress of being relocated so many times.

However, these fish usually die very soon after being brought home. After 6 weeks it should have been adjusted to the conditions. What other fish are in there? I have seen some fish "ram" (excuse the pun) others in the side and kill them instantly. Did he seem to have trouble with any other fish?

11. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Well pet smart had two females so now my remaining two males will get female companions

12. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Now a second ram isn't looking so hot. The third is just fine as is everyone else in the tank.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437851180.681163.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437851202.891351.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    Jswin

I'm beginning to wonder if the third one isn't a little on the mean side and I'm just not seeing it

14. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Second ram died last night. 3rd ram is still super active and brightly colored. I think he may have bullied the other two to death

15. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss. I hope the third one is okay.

16. O

Outsider1911 Valued Member Member

i recently gave up on keeping rams. my parameters always seem good according to my api tests... and out of nowhere they die. the first pair i had laid eggs in my tank, so i assumed they had optimum conditions for them to do so.... and within a few days they both died, without as much as loosing color. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0OzW7-dCo this video is of a guy explaining why they die. maybe one day i will try again.

17. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss, these things suck

Did you know until recently, people died for unknown reasons too? sorry about blurting that out, I know it doesn't help.. lol

18. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Third one is ok with female added. Just laid first set of eggs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice