Important Mysterious Panda Cory Death.

BusterBot28

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a panda Cory die out of nowhere about 7:45 and it is really puzzling me. It was upside down behind my rock cave. It’s gills are bleeding I don’t know if that is because it is dead or what. My parameters are 0,0,20 the 20 is because I dose ferts. I did filter maintenance today I do it biweekly but I have never had anything happen after one.
Image1548383748.958444.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BusterBot28 said:
I had a panda Cory die out of nowhere about 7:45 and it is really puzzling me. It was upside down behind my rock cave. It’s gills are bleeding I don’t know if that is because it is dead or what. My parameters are 0,0,20 the 20 is because I dose ferts. I did filter maintenance today I do it biweekly but I have never had anything happen after one.
Image1548383748.958444.jpg
What substrate are you using?

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm very sorry for your loss. I recently learned of Cory cat suicide. Let me swap to my computer to write a longer reply.

ok I'm back. I belong to an aquarium club that is absolutely amazing! This month January, our guest speaker is a PHD doing research on cory suicide. What I learned in a nutshell and if I can get any links to the talk I will post it for everyone.

Corys catfish when stressed emit a toxin from a gland near their pectoral fin. If you look closely at your fish you'll notice an indent in the "armpit" area just behind the pectoral fin and just before the armored plating on the body. This is where the toxin gland is. When the fish is stressed it will release this toxin. In the wild the fish would swim away into fresher water but in the aquarium it cannot. The toxin is irritating to the gills and mouth of fish, including the cory that released the toxin. This irritation will can cause breathing issues and result in death. If the fish are removed from the water quickly enough and placed in clean tank water it is possible to save the fish. However if they aren't removed quickly enough they will die. The toxin is cloudy and cloudy water could be an indication the fish has released it. Other fish death could also indicate release of toxin.

now I'm not saying that's what happened to your fish however, if placed under enough stress, its a possibility. I'm going to see if I can find a link to that research and or video of the seminar.

link for a quick bit of info about the speaker

OP
BusterBot28

BusterBot28

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for that information! Now I am not sure if that is what happened because there was no cloudy water and I don’t see why they should be stressed. They were actually starting to play in the bubbler again and schooling up so that is what startled me. I was not home when it died though so I will ask my brother when he wakes up. Thanks again!

New Threads