Mysterious Mystery Snail

ChefDean

Good morning friends.
I've been doing research on my own, but can't seem to find an answer. Here's the story.
I have a Mystery Snail that has not moved more than an inch on its own for over a month. It's not dead, still has great color, does not smell, and still opens and closes its trap door. When pulled to check on it/sniff it, there is pullback when I gently tug the trap door. I got it about six months ago.
I've read that it's normal for them to not move for a few days, maybe a week, but over a month? Do they hibernate/brumate?
There is another Mystery Snail in the tank that is not having any problems. It zooms around, left, right, back, front, top to bottom. I got it about a month after the other one.
Tank: 75 gal, two filters (one HOB and one in tank canister, about 400 gph), ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate about 20, gh 7.5, 75°F.
Your thoughts?

BigManAquatics

I know mine will keep itself closed up for a long time cuz one of the platies likes to charge him and make him fly sometimes. Anything in there it might be excessively scared of or picked on by?

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Not sure about not moving for a month, but ours recently stayed put for a week+. I pulled it out multiple times to sniff, even put it in a separate cup of tank water for two days...nothing. I assumed it was dead even though it didn't smell. Put it back in the tank and the next day it is climbing the glass again.

Upvote 0

ChefDean

I know mine will keep itself closed up for a long time cuz one of the platies likes to charge him and make him fly sometimes. Anything in there it might be excessively scared of or picked on by?
It's possible, the tank is primarily Cichlids. However, the other snail has no problem and is smaller, so I don't think that's the issue.
Turbo was active as all get out, then suddenly shut down one day to the next. He just stays in the same place, same position, not getting knocked around by the fish at all.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
BeardedGenz
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27